Register to reply

Can you store a googolplex digitally?

Share this thread:
lovenugget
Oct16-12, 02:16 PM
P: 15
will someone please enlighten me on whether this is possible? I'm debating a friend on whether it is, but i'm starting to reconsider my position. to be more specific, i want to know if you can store (10^(10^100)) in a text file on a hard drive that would fit inside the universe. also, whats that in bytes (lol). thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Muphrid
Oct16-12, 02:34 PM
P: 834
We estimate the number of atoms in the known universe to be about ##10^{80}##, which is far short of a googol, let alone a googolplex. So even if you could use every atom in the universe as a bit, you wouldn't get close to all the digits necessary.
russ_watters
Oct16-12, 03:32 PM
Mentor
P: 22,280
Do you mean just the number or actually that many pieces of data? Because the number already appears in this thread...

jtbell
Oct16-12, 03:37 PM
Mentor
P: 11,735
Can you store a googolplex digitally?

When I saw the thread title I first thought you were asking about Google's headquarters.

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...947844,00.html
russ_watters
Oct16-12, 03:38 PM
Mentor
Heh, me too.
lovenugget
Oct16-12, 03:47 PM
you're right. good answer. what if i asked instead if you could record all of the zeros of a googleplex? i understand the number of zeros is far less.
russ_watters
Oct16-12, 03:51 PM
Mentor
You cannot write the number out, but since it is a simple number, the sci notation is just as good. I'd declare yourself the winner. I'll pm you the address to mail my commission check.
mfb
Oct16-12, 04:04 PM
Mentor
P: 11,815
Quote Quote by lovenugget View Post
you're right. good answer. what if i asked instead if you could record all of the zeros of a googleplex? i understand the number of zeros is far less.
In base 10, this would require a 10^100 bytes of storage: No, you cannot, at least not in the classical way. You can use compression, of course - and there are compression systems which can do this with a conventional hard disk.

In an arbitrary base: In base googoloplex, your number is 10. Easy to store in conventional ways.

Googleplex is something different, as you can see from the images ;).
lovenugget
Oct16-12, 04:51 PM
oh sorry about the error in the title. it's correctly spelled as you all have. thanks for the responses. i still wonder though, is there a googolplex photons in the universe? there has to be... or else i'm still underestimating the true size of the how large a number it is.

EDIT

there's not.

*head explodes*.
Kholdstare
Oct16-12, 06:44 PM
P: 390
actually russ the precision has to be sacrificed when someone tries to save such big number. IEEE 754 floating point standard is good example here. In fact you can save a very large number with a bad precision for a minimum number of bits. The more you add bits into it the precision improves (and also you can use the same memory to store even larger number with even worse precision). Talking about trade-off, ha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754
Dembadon
Oct16-12, 06:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 641
Quote Quote by mfb View Post
In base 10, this would require a 10^100 bytes of storage: [...].
Time for a new integer data type! Tinyints just aren't cuttin' the mustard anymore.
mfb
Oct17-12, 09:04 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by lovenugget View Post
i still wonder though, is there a googolplex photons in the universe?
The whole universe? It might be infinite, in this case: Sure
The observable universe? Not even close. With ~1080 atoms, the number of photons is larger by many orders of magnitude. However, "many orders of magnitude" change that to ~1090, ~10100 or maybe even ~10150 photons.
You think that there are 10150 photons for every photon in my upper estimate? Then we would have 10300 photons.
As you can see, the exponent grows slowly even with extremely high estimates - it will not reach 100.....0 (100 zeros).
russ_watters
Oct17-12, 11:34 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
actually russ the precision has to be sacrificed when someone tries to save such big number. IEEE 754 floating point standard is good example here. In fact you can save a very large number with a bad precision for a minimum number of bits. The more you add bits into it the precision improves (and also you can use the same memory to store even larger number with even worse precision). Talking about trade-off, ha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754
What I was getting at when I said it is a simple number is that with only 1 sig fig, there is no precision to be sacrificed by storing it in some variation of sci notation.
-Job-
Dec18-12, 04:21 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,132
It may be possible to store such a large value within the Universe, though it's likely to be at least a computationally difficult problem and we would possibly have to give up the ability to store any given string of 1010100.

Given any two particles, there is a value implicitly stored that corresponds to their distance, in three dimensions, measured in some unit. If we measure at the Planck length, that's approximately 100 (?) bits per distance.

Given n particles, you can potentially store 2n such distances, amounting to a maximum of 100 * 2n bits, which would be hard or impossible to reach depending on the value being stored, and quite an optimization problem.

With 2265 particles in the universe, this would yield at best 100 * 22265 - huge, but not as large as 1010100.
mfb
Dec18-12, 09:03 AM
Mentor
You cannot get exponential memory with n particles, those 2n distances are not independent. Neglecting quantum mechanics, you can fully describe all via their coordinates - 3 per particle in space, 6 if you include their momentum. With ~100 bits per coordinate (roughly 1m^3 of space), 10^30 particles would give ~10^34 bits of storage. If you use the whole accessible universe, you get 200 bits per coordinate and ~10^80 particles, for a total capacity of ~10^84 bits.
Quantum mechanics does not allow that precision, so it gets even worse.
-Job-
Dec18-12, 02:14 PM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by mfb View Post
You cannot get exponential memory with n particles, those 2n distances are not independent. Neglecting quantum mechanics, you can fully describe all via their coordinates - 3 per particle in space, 6 if you include their momentum. With ~100 bits per coordinate (roughly 1m^3 of space), 10^30 particles would give ~10^34 bits of storage. If you use the whole accessible universe, you get 200 bits per coordinate and ~10^80 particles, for a total capacity of ~10^84 bits.
Quantum mechanics does not allow that precision, so it gets even worse.
That's right, as I pointed out only some strings may be encoded to make maximum use of the 2n values and it becomes a large optimization problem.

The point is there's substantially more storage capacity in the universe than the number of particles. Given two strings, we can encode a number of bits corresponding to the length of the universe measured in Planck units - I haven' t computed this value but it's greater than 100 bits.
mfb
Dec18-12, 02:46 PM
Mentor
2100 planck lengths are some micrometers, 2200 planck lengths are similar to the size of the accessible universe.

Quote Quote by -Job- View Post
The point is there's substantially more storage capacity in the universe than the number of particles. Given two strings, we can encode a number of bits corresponding to the length of the universe measured in Planck units - I haven' t computed this value but it's greater than 100 bits.
It is not substantially. While 10^80 and 10^84 differ by a factor of 10000, this is a small factor compared to the overall size of the numbers.
-Job-
Dec18-12, 03:02 PM
Sci Advisor
Here's an example - please check my math, I'm on my phone.

Given 2^265 (approx 10^80) particles in the universe, suppose we split the particles into groups of three. Each three particles store three distances - these values are independent, given that there are 3 dimensions. Let each distance encode 100 bits, as a low estimate.

Each three particles has 2^300 possible states. Let each group of three particles correspond to a digit, in base 2^300 encoding, a really long alphabet. We can store (2^265)/3 such digits - approx 2^260.

The result would be the enormous value of (2^300)^(2^260).

Register to reply