Instagram may sell photos for advertising

by jtbell
Tags: advertising, instagram, photos, sell
Share this thread:
jtbell
Dec18-12, 11:40 AM
Mentor
P: 11,778
The new terms of use, effective January 16, are littered with changes throughout -- but the biggest changes came in the section about users' rights. "A business or other entity may pay" Instagram to display users' photos and other details "in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."
Instagram can now sell your photos for ads (cnn.com)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
surajt88
Dec18-12, 12:11 PM
P: 76
I have used instagram for a brief period. It may not be easy for long time users, but, IMO if you don't agree with the terms of use, get out.
gneill
Dec18-12, 01:19 PM
Mentor
P: 11,683
So, "All your face are belong to us!"

cobalt124
Dec19-12, 06:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 147
Instagram may sell photos for advertising

They seem to be backpeddling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20777616

Having never had a Facebook account I don't know much about it, but family members do so I've been concerned about it and IMO if I had an Instagram account I'd delete it before Jan 16, don't trust them if they cannot even clearly state their intentions.
Greg Bernhardt
Dec19-12, 06:57 AM
Admin
P: 9,561
lol wow, there really is nothing confusing about the intentions of

"You hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the content that you post on or through the service."

or

"a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos, and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."

shameful
surajt88
Dec21-12, 08:44 AM
P: 76
LOL..

jedishrfu
Dec21-12, 09:05 AM
P: 2,985
There was a recent case where a family's holiday picture became a large sign in Prague advertising a grocery store and was noticed by one of their friends visiting the city.

The store had gotten the picture from the web. It was high enough resolution for the them to blow up it really big and display it on their billboard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8094420.stm

The moral of the story is not to post pictures to the web and if you do use a reduced resolution and make sure you brush your teeth if you're smiling.

Register to reply