Photo Contest - Physics+Maths (12/23-1/5, win a book)

• Thread starter Orodruin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    photo contest
  • Featured
In summary, the photo contest aims to promote interest and creativity in physics and mathematics and provide a platform for showcasing knowledge and skills. It is open to anyone with an interest in these subjects and can be entered by submitting a relevant photo. A panel of judges will select the winner based on creativity, relevance, and overall quality, and the prize is a book related to physics and mathematics, along with recognition and promotion.
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The photo contest of this week will have some additional stakes apart from the usual right to brag for a week.

In connection to the publication of my new textbook Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering, CRC Press has graciously offered Physics Forums three free copies of it to use as prizes in various competitions of which this will be the first. @ZapperZ has graciously allowed me to pick the theme and to run the competition myself.

Edit: If your photography skills are lacking, but you feel like writing some poetry. Check out the second contest thread: Describe your job as a haiku or limerick - contest

In connection to the theme of the book, the theme of the contest this week is

Physics+Maths

Your picture should show a physical phenomenon that visualises the solution to a mathematical problem encountered in the physical sciences. No equations in the pictures, but feel free to write down the corresponding equations in your submission post!

In order to give everyone a fair chance to snap a good physics picture over the holidays, this contest will run for two weeks rather than the usual one week.

Note! The book is aimed towards advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics and the prerequisites for understanding the contents are therefore rather high. If for this or any other reason you feel that you do not want the book, you are still welcome to participate in the photo contest. Just send me a PM notifying me that your contribution is not competing for the book.

Note (2)! Due to shipping costs, we can offer free shipping within the United States only. If you want to compete for the book from another country, be aware that shipping costs may have to be imposed.

Apart from the above, the rules for the Photo Contest are the same as always:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, DennisN, mfb and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
The Catenary is purrfect easy to demonstrate!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary
the catenary curve is the graph of the hyperbolic cosine function,
it's the solution to the problem of chain equilibrium:
sg_3l7Nvzt0.jpg

Attachments

• sg_3l7Nvzt0.jpg
    sg_3l7Nvzt0.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 718
Last edited:
Likes Orodruin, Charles Link, vanhees71 and 3 others

Attachments

• StandingWave-RS-600w.jpg
    StandingWave-RS-600w.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 646
Likes Orodruin, Charles Link, berkeman and 3 others
Infinity.png

Infinity.

Attachments

• Infinity.png
    Infinity.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 570
Likes BillTre, Greg Bernhardt, Charles Link and 1 other person
Untitled1_zpsgzzrhb89.jpg

Fine smoke particles visualize part of a transition from laminar to turbulent flow. While the shape literally illustrates a solution to the mass, momentum, and energy balance equations, it is also a (notorious) open problem in fluid mechanics.

Attachments

• Untitled1_zpsgzzrhb89.jpg
    Untitled1_zpsgzzrhb89.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Likes lekh2003, AlexCaledin, BillTre and 6 others
I had to dig up a straight-on picture of "The Bean", because I'm using the quartic, 2D equation of the shape: (x2 + y2)2 = x3 + y3

IMG_1865.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 562
Likes Orodruin, AlexCaledin and BillTre
One day left to submit your contributions to the photo contest and have (this) chance for winning the book!

The haiku/limerick competition also ends tomorrow!

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to promote interest and creativity in the fields of physics and mathematics. It also provides an opportunity for individuals to showcase their knowledge and skills in these subjects.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone with an interest in physics and mathematics. This includes students, teachers, researchers, and enthusiasts of all ages and backgrounds.

3. How do I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, simply submit a photo that is related to physics or mathematics. This can be a photo of an experiment, a mathematical equation, or anything else that relates to these subjects. You can submit your entry through the designated submission form or by using the designated hashtag on social media.

4. How will the winner be selected?

The winner of the photo contest will be selected by a panel of judges who will evaluate the entries based on creativity, relevance to the theme, and overall quality of the photo. The winner will be announced on the designated end date of the contest.

5. What is the prize for winning the photo contest?

The prize for winning the photo contest is a book related to physics and mathematics. The specific book will be announced at the start of the contest and will be chosen by the organizers. The winner will also receive recognition and promotion on the contest's website and social media platforms.