Do the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator Commute?

by Morberticus
Tags: commute, creation, operator, projection, spin
Morberticus
Dec20-12, 04:04 AM
P: 78
I have bumped into a term

[itex]a^\dagger \hat{O}_S | \psi \rangle[/itex]

I would really like to operate on the slater determinant [itex]\psi[/itex] directly, but I fear I cannot. Is there any easy manipulation I can perform?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
andrien
Dec21-12, 01:05 AM
P: 977
where you got that and is that O something expressible in terms of gamma matrices?
daveyrocket
Dec21-12, 03:16 AM
P: 185
What is a spin projection operator? The things that come to mind are single body operators, and you have a many body wavefunction. If it's something like the total Z component of the spin, then as a many body operator it would be written as \sum_i (n_up - n_down), which is a combination of creation/annihilation operators ... take your operator and express it in terms of particle creation/annihilation operators and then you can work out the commutation relation.

DrDu
Dec21-12, 04:14 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,370

Do the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator Commute?

Spin projection operators are used e.g. in quantum chemistry. A single Slater determinant is in general not an eigenstate of spin, but such an eigenstate can be obtained using a projection operator.
If ##a^\dagger## adds an electron in a spin orbital, the new state will in general be a combination of states with with new spin S-1/2 and S+1/2.
In general you can write the spin projected state as a sum of determinants again and then act with ##a^\dagger## on each of it.

Register to reply