Register to reply

Do the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator Commute?

by Morberticus
Tags: commute, creation, operator, projection, spin
Share this thread:
Morberticus
Dec20-12, 04:04 AM
P: 81
I have bumped into a term

[itex]a^\dagger \hat{O}_S | \psi \rangle[/itex]

I would really like to operate on the slater determinant [itex]\psi[/itex] directly, but I fear I cannot. Is there any easy manipulation I can perform?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Interfaces within materials can be patterned as a means of controlling the properties of composites
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
andrien
Dec21-12, 01:05 AM
P: 1,020
where you got that and is that O something expressible in terms of gamma matrices?
daveyrocket
Dec21-12, 03:16 AM
P: 185
What is a spin projection operator? The things that come to mind are single body operators, and you have a many body wavefunction. If it's something like the total Z component of the spin, then as a many body operator it would be written as \sum_i (n_up - n_down), which is a combination of creation/annihilation operators ... take your operator and express it in terms of particle creation/annihilation operators and then you can work out the commutation relation.

DrDu
Dec21-12, 04:14 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,595
Do the Creation Operator and Spin Projection Operator Commute?

Spin projection operators are used e.g. in quantum chemistry. A single Slater determinant is in general not an eigenstate of spin, but such an eigenstate can be obtained using a projection operator.
If ##a^\dagger## adds an electron in a spin orbital, the new state will in general be a combination of states with with new spin S-1/2 and S+1/2.
In general you can write the spin projected state as a sum of determinants again and then act with ##a^\dagger## on each of it.

Register to reply