Creation and annihilation operator

Sebas4
TL;DR Summary
Does the annihilation/creation operator on the complex exponent?
Hey, I have a short question.
The quantized field in Schrödinger picture is given by:
[tex] \hat{\phi} \left(\textbf{x}\right) =\int \frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^3} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\omega_{2\textbf{p}}}}\left(\hat{a}_{\textbf{p}}e^{i\textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{x}} + \hat{a}^{\dagger}_{\textbf{p}}e^{-i\textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{x}}\right) [/tex]

My question is, does the the annihilation [itex]\hat{a}_{\textbf{p}}[/itex] and creation [itex]\hat{a}^{\dagger}_{\textbf{p}} [/itex] operator act on [itex]e^{i\textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{x}}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-i\textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{x}}[/itex] respectively? In other words: does the annihilation/creation operator on the complex exponent?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sebas4 said:
does the the annihilation a^p and creation a^p† operator act on eip⋅x and e−ip⋅x respectively?

No.

Likes Paul Colby
Well, it does in the sense that ##a## and ##a^\dagger## commute with these factors.

Likes topsquark
No, they don't. The creation and annihilation operators are linear operators defined in the Fock space. The expeonential functions are numbers; ##\vec{x}, \vec{p} \in \mathbb{R}^3##.

What is a creation and annihilation operator?

A creation and annihilation operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of particles. They are represented by the symbols a and a, respectively.

How do creation and annihilation operators work?

Creation and annihilation operators act on a quantum state to either create or destroy a particle. When the operator acts on a state with no particles, it creates one. When it acts on a state with one particle, it destroys it. This is based on the principles of quantum superposition and entanglement.

What is the commutation relationship between creation and annihilation operators?

The commutation relationship between creation and annihilation operators is given by [a, a] = 1, where [ , ] denotes the commutator. This relationship is important in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the expectation value of certain physical quantities.

What is the significance of creation and annihilation operators?

Creation and annihilation operators are fundamental in quantum mechanics as they allow us to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They are also used in many areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and quantum optics.

Can creation and annihilation operators be used for any type of particle?

Yes, creation and annihilation operators can be used for any type of particle, including fermions and bosons. However, the specific form of the operators may differ depending on the type of particle they are acting on.