Register to reply

Mars One

by Biosyn
Tags: mars
Share this thread:
Biosyn
Dec24-12, 05:18 PM
P: 112
Is this feasible? The astronauts that are traveling to Mars will not be returning and instead will live on the planet for the rest of their lives...

At first, I thought this was some sort of hoax.

Source: http://mars-one.com/en/mission/is-this-really-possible

Furthermore, there is a point in time after which the human body will have adjusted to the 38% gravitation field of Mars and be incapable of returning to the Earth's much stronger gravity. This is due to the total physiological change in the human body which includes reduction in bone density, muscle strength, and circulatory system capacity. While a cosmonaut on-board the Mir was able to walk upon return to Earth after thirteen months in a weightless environment, there may be a duration on Mars after which the human body will not be able to adjust to the higher gravity of Earth upon return.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Thai Airways bans shark fin from cargo flights
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
Rono
Dec24-12, 05:59 PM
P: 53
I'm pretty sure they could be able to return and still being able to live here. The fact that the rover and the rooms (I'm imaging it somehow like 2001) would be pressurized similar to the atmosphere of Earth means that there wouldn't be a huge change on the oxygenation rate of the astronauts.

The main issue here would be the bone density and their movement ability. If they are in good shape, they could come here and recover in a short time, however most of them would require some therapy in order to recover, just like people who recovered movement of their legs after a long paralyzed state.
Biosyn
Dec24-12, 06:18 PM
P: 112
Quote Quote by Rono View Post
I'm pretty sure they could be able to return and still being able to live here. The fact that the rover and the rooms (I'm imaging it somehow like 2001) would be pressurized similar to the atmosphere of Earth means that there wouldn't be a huge change on the oxygenation rate of the astronauts.

The main issue here would be the bone density and their movement ability. If they are in good shape, they could come here and recover in a short time, however most of them would require some therapy in order to recover, just like people who recovered movement of their legs after a long paralyzed state.

After living on Mars for a substantial amount of time, do you think they will be able to tolerate the G forces encountered when reentering Earth's atmosphere?
And that is if they ever come back. I don't think they are planning a return stage of this mission.

Rono
Dec24-12, 06:44 PM
P: 53
Mars One

Quote Quote by Biosyn View Post
After living on Mars for a substantial amount of time, do you think they will be able to tolerate the G forces encountered when reentering Earth's atmosphere?
And that is if they ever come back. I don't think they are planning a return stage of this mission.
I'm totally considering a hypothetical scenario where they would plan a return mission. Among the original or first and second generations in Mars, it would be required an intense training to handle forces of 10g, specially when they are used to a force of 0.4g (the gravity of Mars). However, I think that after that, due to evolution, it would be needed a training maybe more intense than what's known for us. Unless a special anti-force suit is done, it would be impossible to handle 10g for the later generations.
Evo
Dec24-12, 08:55 PM
Mentor
P: 26,477
The thread discussing it is here. http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=612739

Register to reply