exponential distribution word problem

by salma17
Tags: distribution, exponential, word
salma17
Dec25-12, 08:24 PM
P: 49
The Information Systems Audit and Control Association surveyed office workers to learn about the anticipated usage of office computers for holiday shopping. Assume that the number of hours a worker spends doing holiday shopping on an office computer follows an exponential distribution.

a) The study reported that there is a .53 probability that a worker uses the office computer for holiday shopping 5 hours or less. Is the mean time spent using an office computer for holiday shopping closest to 5.8,6.2,6.6, or 7 hours?

b) Using the mean time from part a), whats the probability that a worker uses the office computer for holiday shopping more than 10 hours?

c) What is the probability that a worker uses the office computer fr holiday shopping between 4 and 8 hours?

I just dont know how to calculate the mean. Once i get that I'll be able to do parts b) and c). Any help with part a) will be very helpful.thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Simon Bridge
Dec26-12, 04:23 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 11,094
Do you know the general form of the exponential distribution?
salma17
Dec26-12, 08:49 AM
P: 49
f(x)= 1/a (e)^ -x/a
where a is the mean?

Simon Bridge
Dec28-12, 03:07 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 11,094

exponential distribution word problem

Good. In terms of time, you may prefer: $$p(t)=\frac{1}{\tau}e^{t/\tau}$$... where ##\tau## is the mean.

Can you turn that into an expression for the probability that the time is less than some specified value T : $$p(t<T)=\cdots$$

Register to reply