Mean and var of an exponential distribution using Fourier transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fourier transform in different areas of mathematics and specifically looks at a method to calculate the mean and variance of the exponential distribution. The approach involves using principles of the Fourier transform and results in the expected outcome. The conversation also mentions the relationship between the characteristic function, moment generating function, and Fourier transform for further understanding. A slight typo is noted in the post, but the overall result is correct.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Derive the mean and the variance of the exponential distribution using the Fourier transform
Relevant Equations
## FT[f(t)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-j\omega t} dt ##
Hi,

I was just thinking about different ways to use the Fourier transform in other areas of mathematics. I am not sure whether this is the correct forum, but it is related to probability so I thought I ought to put it here.

Question: Is the following method an appropriate way to calculate the mean and variance of the exponential distribution? Have I overlooked any technicalities to get to the result?

I know that the standard proof isn't hard, but I was wondering whether there are faster ways (saves having to do the integration by parts)

Approach:
So we use the following principles for the Fourier transform:
## FT[f(t)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-j\omega t} dt = F(\omega) ##
## FT[t^n f(t)] = j^n \frac{d^n F}{d\omega^n} ##

Using the second relation, we can see that:
$$ E[f(t)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t f(t) dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} tf(t) e^{-j(0) t} dt = j \frac{d F}{d\omega} |_{\omega = 0} $$
and
$$ E[f^2] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t^2 f(t) dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} tf(t) e^{-j(0) t} dt = j^2 \frac{d^2 F}{d\omega^2} |_{\omega = 0} $$

We have ## f(t) = \lambda e^{-\lambda t} u(t) ## (0 for ## t < 0 ##) and we have the standard result that ## FT[e^{-at} u(t)] = \frac{1}{a+j\omega} ##. Therefore,
$$ FT[ \lambda e^{-\lambda t} u(t)] = \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+j\omega} $$
and
$$ E[f] = FT[ \lambda t e^{-\lambda t} u(t)] = j \frac{d }{d\omega} \left( \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+j\omega} \right)|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{\lambda}{(\lambda + j \omega)^2}|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{1}{\lambda} $$
Now we can do
$$ E[f^2] = FT[ \lambda t^2 e^{-\lambda t} u(t)] = j^2 \frac{d^2 }{d\omega^2} \left( \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+j\omega} \right)|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{2 \lambda}{(\lambda + j \omega)^3}|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{2}{\lambda^2} $$

Finally we can use: ## Var[f] = E[f^2] - (E[f])^2 = \frac{2}{\lambda^2} - \frac{1}{\lambda^2} = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} ##

which yields the expected result.

Have I overlooked any details along the way or is this a valid way to derive the required quantities?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good. You can take a look at how the characteristic function and the moment generating function of a probability distribution relate to each other and to it's Fourier transform for more insight.

Likes Master1022
jambaugh said:
That looks good. You can take a look at how the characteristic function and the moment generating function of a probability distribution relate to each other and to it's Fourier transform for more insight.
Dear @jambaugh , thank you very much for responding! I will definitely look into those areas.

For anyone else looking at this forum, please note there is a slight typo in the post when I was copy and pasting the latex. The result is correct. The integral for the ## E[f^2] ## should read (I forgot the ## t^2 ## in the middle integral and instead left it as ## t ## when I copied the code from the ## E[f] ## integral):

$$ E[f^2] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t^2 f(t) dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t^2 f(t) e^{-j(0) t} dt = j^2 \frac{d^2 F}{d\omega^2} |_{\omega = 0} $$

1. What is an exponential distribution?

An exponential distribution is a probability distribution that describes the time between events in a Poisson process. It is often used to model the time between events that occur randomly in a process.

2. How is the mean of an exponential distribution calculated using Fourier transforms?

The mean of an exponential distribution can be calculated using Fourier transforms by taking the inverse Fourier transform of the characteristic function of the distribution. This involves integrating the characteristic function over the entire real line and then taking the inverse Fourier transform.

3. What is the characteristic function of an exponential distribution?

The characteristic function of an exponential distribution is a complex-valued function that uniquely describes the distribution. It is defined as the Fourier transform of the probability density function of the distribution.

4. How is the variance of an exponential distribution calculated using Fourier transforms?

The variance of an exponential distribution can be calculated using Fourier transforms by taking the second derivative of the characteristic function at zero. This is equivalent to taking the second moment of the distribution, which is equal to the variance.

5. What are the applications of using Fourier transforms to calculate the mean and variance of an exponential distribution?

Using Fourier transforms to calculate the mean and variance of an exponential distribution can be useful in various fields such as probability theory, statistics, and signal processing. It can also be applied in practical situations, such as modeling the time between customer arrivals in a queue or the time between earthquakes in a seismological study.