Solving 2 Problems with Exponential RVs: CLT & Probability

In summary: Ok, so now for part 2: 2. Since all the waiting times are identical, I add them up and get a mean time of 50 mins. λ = 1/50 = 0.02probability for an exponential random variable is λe^-(λt)I then solve for the integral from 0 to 45 for 0.02e^-(0.02t) dt = 0.59344... Are my answers correct? In summary, for part 1, the correct approach is to use a poisson distribution and calculate the probability of having at least 500 arrivals in 480 minutes. For part 2, the approach is correct in using the exponential
marcadams267
I have the following two problems that I need to solve:

1. Suppose that the service time for a student enlisting during enrollment is modeled as an
exponential RV with a mean time of 1 minute. If the school expects 500 students during
enrollment period, what is the probability that the registration committee will finish enlisting all
students within a day if a day constitutes a total of 8 working hours? Use the Central Limit
Theorem.

2. Suppose that you have a class at 8:45 am and you left your house at 8:00 am. To get to class, you
ride a train, ride a taxi and then walk. The train waiting time, train trip time, taxi waiting time, taxi trip time,
and walking time are all modeled as exponential random variables with a mean time of 10 mins,
and they are assumed to be independent of each other. What is the probability that you will not
be late for class?My attempted solution:
1. Since mean time is 1 minute, and there are 480 mins in 8 hours, mean amount of students = 480
Variance = 1/λ^2, so standard deviation = 1/λ = mean = 480
Central limit theorem: Z = (S - mean)/standard_deviation --> (500-480)/480 = 0.0416666666

2. Since all the waiting times are identical, I add them up and get a mean time of 50 mins.
λ = 1/50 = 0.02
probability for an exponential random variable is λe^-(λt)
I then solve for the integral from 0 to 45 for 0.02e^-(0.02t) dt = 0.59344

Are my answers correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
let's tackle part 1 first

marcadams267 said:
I have the following two problems that I need to solve:

1. Suppose that the service time for a student enlisting during enrollment is modeled as an
exponential RV with a mean time of 1 minute. If the school expects 500 students during
enrollment period, what is the probability that the registration committee will finish enlisting all
students within a day if a day constitutes a total of 8 working hours? Use the Central Limit
Theorem.

My attempted solution:
1. Since mean time is 1 minute, and there are 480 mins in 8 hours, mean amount of students = 480
Variance = 1/λ^2, so standard deviation = 1/λ = mean = 480
Central limit theorem: Z = (S - mean)/standard_deviation --> (500-480)/480 = 0.0416666666

Are my answers correct?

the fact that you didn't use a poisson distribution here is a red flag you need to think about. You should also explicitly write out the random variable and what is stands for... jumping straight into calculations can lead to problems like this.

As is you seem to think the problem involves adding 480 iid exponential random variables. I don't see how this can possibly be the case -- we are interested in 500 students not 48. Note: even if your setup was correct, there's a linearity problem -- the combined random variable would in fact have variance of 480 but would have standard deviation of $\sqrt{480}$ -- variance adds in the case of iid random variables but standard deviation does not-- you can't interchange sums of positive numbers and square roots due to negative convexity.

so writing this out, what you actually want to know is whether

$S_{500} \leq 480$
this is standard partial sum notation you may have seen in calculus e.g. $s_3 = x_1 + x_2 + x_3$, except we are summing random variables,

$S_{500} = X_1 + X_2 + ... + X_{500}$

where each $X_j$ represents a student, having iid arrival / service time that is an exponential random variable with parameter $\lambda = 1$

so what is
$Pr\big(S_{500} \leq 480\big) $

well this is asking whether the first 500 arrivals occur at some time less than or equal to 480 minutes, which is equivalent to asking whether the number arrivals at time 480 are at least 500 in a poisson process. i.e.

whether
$Pr\big(N(t)) \geq 500\big)$
with $t = 480$
and $N(t)$ is the 'counting' random variable which counts the number of iid exponentially distributed arrivals in $(0, t]$

and from your text you should know
$Pr\big(N(t) = k )$

is precisely given by a poisson distribution.

From here I'd suggest calculating the answer exactly in say excel, and then doing the normal approximation and comparing answers.

= = = = =
note: you didn't give any background on the course or book you are using so I had to guess on what you know. It is possible that some of what I said won't make sense. My first suggestion of completely writing out the problem and what are the random variables you're interested, and why stands in any case. Second, there are many good texts on poisson processes. These days I'd probably recommend the freely available book by Blitzstein and Hwang which has a nice chapter on Poisson processes that you may want to go through. See here:

https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/stat110/home

1. What is the Central Limit Theorem (CLT) and how does it relate to exponential random variables (RVs)?

The Central Limit Theorem states that when a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables are summed, their distribution approaches a normal distribution. This applies to exponential RVs as well, meaning that when we sum a large number of exponential RVs, the resulting distribution will approach a normal distribution. This is useful for solving problems involving the sum of exponential RVs.

2. How can the CLT be used to solve problems involving the sum of exponential RVs?

The CLT allows us to approximate the distribution of the sum of exponential RVs with a normal distribution, which is much easier to work with. This allows us to use the properties of the normal distribution to solve problems involving the sum of exponential RVs, such as finding probabilities or confidence intervals.

3. What is the relationship between the CLT and the Law of Large Numbers?

The Law of Large Numbers states that as the sample size increases, the sample mean will approach the population mean. The CLT is an extension of this concept, stating that as the sample size increases, the sample mean will approach a normal distribution. This means that the CLT is a more general and powerful version of the Law of Large Numbers, as it applies to a wider range of distributions.

4. Can the CLT be applied to other types of random variables besides exponential RVs?

Yes, the CLT can be applied to a wide range of random variables, as long as they are independent and identically distributed. This includes continuous and discrete distributions, as well as other types of RVs such as Poisson, binomial, and geometric RVs.

5. Are there any limitations to using the CLT to solve problems involving exponential RVs?

While the CLT is a powerful tool for solving problems involving the sum of exponential RVs, it does have some limitations. It is only an approximation and may not be accurate for small sample sizes. Additionally, the CLT assumes that the RVs are independent and identically distributed, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the CLT when using it to solve problems.