Register to reply

Determinant systems

by poon
Tags: determinant, systems
Share this thread:
poon
Dec26-12, 09:44 AM
P: 3
am not a math guru :P,am a newbie even if this should be solved by a newbie as well, Id like u guys to help me out to solve this one :

3x-y+2z=4

Im really needing this, thank you all.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
SteamKing
Dec26-12, 10:04 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,559
One equation, three unknowns.

You can solve this equation as long as you pick values for any two of the unknowns.
poon
Dec26-12, 10:16 AM
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
One equation, three unknowns.

You can solve this equation as long as you pick values for any two of the unknowns.
can u give me a hand now ? :)
3x+y+2z=4
2x+3y-z=4
2x-y-z=0

rock.freak667
Dec26-12, 10:45 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
Determinant systems

You could either convert it into a matrix equation and solve it.

Or you can use one equation to modify the other two, and then solve those two simultaneously. For example if you take the last equation and substitute it into the first 2, then solve the now modified first two you will get two of the solutions.
poon
Dec26-12, 10:54 AM
Thank you guys. But when its up to math in english im not good,actually im not understanding this that much, i need someone to solve it in mathematical view..
rock.freak667
Dec26-12, 11:36 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
Quote Quote by poon View Post
Thank you guys. But when its up to math in english im not good,actually im not understanding this that much, i need someone to solve it in mathematical view..
Do you know how to form a matrix equation from a system of equations?

3x+y+2z=4 (1)
2x+3y-z=4 (2)
2x-y-z=0 (3)

If you take equation 2 and subtract that from equation 3, what equation are you left with?

Similarly, if you take equation 1 and add that to 2*equation 3, what equation are you left with?

Register to reply