Induction Proof, Apostol Calc Vol I, I.4.4.7

In summary, the proof uses the principle of mathematical induction to show that the inequality ##(1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2## is true for all ##x \ge 3## and all integers ##n \ge 3##. The proof begins by setting ##n=3## and showing that the inequality is true for ##x \ge 3##. Then, it assumes that the inequality is true for some integer ##k \ge 3## and uses this assumption to show that it is also true for ##k+1##. This is done by expanding ##(1+x)^{k+1}## and
Jonathanlikesmath
Homework Statement
Let ##n_1## be the smallest positive integer ##n## for which the inequality ##(1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 ## is true for all ##x >0##. Compute ##n_1##, and prove that the inequality is true for all integers ## n \ge n_1##.
Relevant Equations
N/A
For calculating ##n_1## I had no problems as ##n_1 = 3##.

PF: Show ##(1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 ## is true for all ##x \ge 3##.

Let ##n = 3, (1+x)^3 > 3x^2 + 3x + 1 ##

##x^3 +3x^2 +3x + 3 > 3x^2 + 3x + 1 ## is true.

Assume ## n = k ## such that ##(1+x)^k > 1+kx + kx^2, k \ge 3## is true.

We want to show ## n = k + 1, n \ge 3 ## is true.

##(1+x)^{k + 1} > 1 + (k+1)x + (k+1)x^2##

##(1+x)^k(1+x) > kx^2 +x^2 + kx + x + 1##

##(1+x)^k(1+x) > (kx^2 +kx + 1) + x^2 + x ##

After a couple hours of algebra I came back to this spot above and think I am in the right place, because I noticed I have my assumption from the inductive step as part of the equation. However, I am unsure of how to show the product on the LHS is greater than the sum on the RHS.

Additionally, I worked to the following:

##(1+x)^k > \frac{kx^2 + kx + 1}{(1+x)} + x ##

Which makes me feel even better about the claim, but again under of how to show that LHS > RHS. I really fill like this is the spot, more than above as I have made the RHS of my inductive step smaller, while I am only add x to its total.

I went back through the previous problems to see if I proved something that would help solve this problem but I am not seeing anything. Additionally, there is an issue that I believe just for new users. For MathJax to work you have to log out once you confirm your account and then log back in otherwise MathJax will not work. I spent way too long trying to get it to work and searching for help, there was a post which stated the fix. This should be added to the LaTex Guide!

Jonathan

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathanlikesmath said:
Homework Statement:: Let ##n_1## be the smallest positive integer ##n## for which the inequality ##(1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 ## is true for all ##x >0##. Compute ##n_1##, and prove that the inequality is true for all integers ## n \ge n_1##.
Relevant Equations:: N/A

For calculating ##n_1## I had no problems as ##n_1 = 3##.

PF: Show ##(1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 ## is true for all ##x \ge 3##.
... for all ##x>0## and ##n\geq 3.##
Jonathanlikesmath said:
Let ##n = 3, (1+x)^3 > 3x^2 + 3x + 1 ##

##x^3 +3x^2 +3x + 3 > 3x^2 + 3x + 1 ## is true.

Assume ## n = k ## such that ##(1+x)^k > 1+kx + kx^2, k \ge 3## is true.

We want to show ## n = k + 1, n \ge 3 ## is true.
So far so good.
Jonathanlikesmath said:
##(1+x)^{k + 1} > 1 + (k+1)x + (k+1)x^2##
From here on it is problematic. You cannot work with what you want to show! It has to be at the end of the proof, not at the beginning.

The structure of the proof should be
\begin{align*}
(1+x)^{k + 1}&=(1+x)^k\cdot (1+x) >_{i.h.} (1+kx+kx^2) \cdot (1+x)\\
&\ge \; \ldots\\
&\ge \; \ldots\\
&\ge 1+(k+1)x+(k+1)x^2
\end{align*}

and you should fill the gaps. Do not forget that ##k\geq 3## and ##x>0.##

Jonathanlikesmath said:
##(1+x)^k(1+x) > kx^2 +x^2 + kx + x + 1##

##(1+x)^k(1+x) > (kx^2 +kx + 1) + x^2 + x ##

After a couple hours of algebra I came back to this spot above and think I am in the right place, because I noticed I have my assumption from the inductive step as part of the equation. However, I am unsure of how to show the product on the LHS is greater than the sum on the RHS.

Additionally, I worked to the following:

##(1+x)^k > \frac{kx^2 + kx + 1}{(1+x)} + x ##

Which makes me feel even better about the claim, but again under of how to show that LHS > RHS. I really fill like this is the spot, more than above as I have made the RHS of my inductive step smaller, while I am only add x to its total.

I went back through the previous problems to see if I proved something that would help solve this problem but I am not seeing anything.Additionally, there is an issue that I believe just for new users. For MathJax to work you have to log out once you confirm your account and then log back in otherwise MathJax will not work. I spent way too long trying to get it to work and searching for help, there was a post which stated the fix. This should be added to the LaTex Guide!

Jonathan

I have been doing my induction proofs incorrect and I think I figured this one out so I will post all for critique.

PF: Show ## (1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 \text{ is true for all } x \ge 0, n \in \mathbb{Z} \text{ and} \ge 3##.

## \text{Let } n = 3: (1+x)^3 > 1 + 3x + 3x^2##

##x^3 + 3x^2 + 3x + 1 > 1+ 3x + 2x^2 ## is true.

Let ## n = k ## such that ##(1+x)^k > 1 + kx + kx^2## is true for ## x \ge 0 \text{ and } n \ge 3##.

We want to show ## n = k + 1##.

##(1+x)^{k+1} = (1+x)^k(x+1) > (1 + kx + kx^2)(x+1)##

## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1 + kx + kx^2 + x + kx^2 + kx^3##

## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1 + kx + x + 2kx^2 + kx^3 ##

## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1 +x(k+1) + x^2(2k + kx) > 1 + x(k+1) + x^2(k+1) ##

Therefore, ## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1+x(k+1) + x^2(k + 1) ##

By P.M.I. ##(1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 \text{ is true for all } x \ge 0, n \in \mathbb{Z} \text{ and} \ge 3##.

Q.E.D.

Jonathanlikesmath said:
I have been doing my induction proofs incorrect and I think I figured this one out so I will post all for critique.

PF: Show ## (1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 \text{ is true for all } x \ge 0, n \in \mathbb{Z} \text{ and} \ge 3##.

## \text{Let } n = 3: (1+x)^3 > 1 + 3x + 3x^2##

##x^3 + 3x^2 + 3x + 1 > 1+ 3x + 2x^2 ## is true.

Let ## n = k ## such that ##(1+x)^k > 1 + kx + kx^2## is true for ## x \ge 0 \text{ and } n \ge 3##.

We want to show ## n = k + 1##.

##(1+x)^{k+1} = (1+x)^k(x+1) > (1 + kx + kx^2)(x+1)##

## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1 + kx + kx^2 + x + kx^2 + kx^3##

## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1 + kx + x + 2kx^2 + kx^3 ##

## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1 +x(k+1) + x^2(2k + kx) > 1 + x(k+1) + x^2(k+1) ##

Therefore, ## (1+x)^{k+1} > 1+x(k+1) + x^2(k + 1) ##

By P.M.I. ##(1+x)^n > 1 + nx + nx^2 \text{ is true for all } x \ge 0, n \in \mathbb{Z} \text{ and} \ge 3##.

Q.E.D.
Looks good.

Can you tell the inequality that uses ##k\geq 3?##

Likes Jonathanlikesmath
Yes, I found ##n_1 = 3## by brute force, thankfully it was small. I am not sure of a clever way to find it if the value was larger or the inequality more complex.

Jonathanlikesmath said:
Yes, I found ##n_1 = 3## by brute force, thankfully it was small. I am not sure of a clever way to find it if the value was larger or the inequality more complex.
No. This was not what I meant. You showed a sequence of inequalities:
##(1+x)^{k+1}>(1+kx+kx^2)(1+x) \geq \ldots \geq (1+(k+1)x+(k+1)x^2)##
Which of those uses ##k\geq 3## or ##k>1## to be exact?

What I wanted to say is the following: You (correctly) used ##x^2(2k+kx)>x^2(k+1).##

This is true, but it uses a few facts that might not be seen:
  1. ##x^2 >0##
    This is true since squares are always positive, or because ##x>0.##
  2. ##kx >0##
    This can only be bounded by ##0## from below since ##x>0## can be arbitrarily small.
  3. ##2k > k+1##
    This is equivalent to ##k>1## which is true since ##k\geq n_1=3>1.##

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
No. This was not what I meant. You showed a sequence of inequalities:
##(1+x)^{k+1}>(1+kx+kx^2)(1+x) \geq \ldots \geq (1+(k+1)x+(k+1)x^2)##
Which of those uses ##k\geq 3## or ##k>1## to be exact?

What I wanted to say is the following: You (correctly) used ##x^2(2k+kx)>x^2(k+1).##

This is true, but it uses a few facts that might not be seen:
  1. ##x^2 >0##
    This is true since squares are always positive, or because ##x>0.##
  2. ##kx >0##
    This can only be bounded by ##0## from below since ##x>0## can be arbitrarily small.
  3. ##2k > k+1##
    This is equivalent to ##k>1## which is true since ##k\geq n_1=3>1.##
Ok, so with those three facts, not only are you proving the inequality holds but also using the constraints of the initial problem. I would have never figured out what you meant, unless you showed me that or asked me to prove that the inequality holds. Thanks!

Likes fresh_42

What is induction proof?

Induction proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves showing that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then proving that if it is true for any given natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

How is induction proof used in Apostol Calc Vol I, I.4.4.7?

In Apostol Calc Vol I, I.4.4.7, induction proof is used to prove the sum of the first n positive integers. The proof involves showing that the statement is true for n=1, and then using induction to show that if it is true for n=k, it is also true for n=k+1.

What is the process of induction proof?

The process of induction proof involves three steps: 1) show that the statement is true for the first natural number, 2) assume that it is true for any given natural number, and 3) prove that if it is true for that number, it is also true for the next natural number.

Why is induction proof considered a valid proof technique?

Induction proof is considered a valid proof technique because it follows a logical and systematic approach to proving a statement for all natural numbers. It starts with a base case and then uses a strong assumption to prove the statement for all subsequent cases.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using induction proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using induction proof include assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving it for the base case, using an incorrect assumption for the induction step, and skipping steps in the proof. It is important to carefully follow the three steps of induction proof to ensure a valid and complete proof.