Share this thread:
Felafel
Dec27-12, 10:23 AM
P: 170
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Study the continuity of the function defined by:
## \lim n \to \infty \frac{n^x-n^{-x}}{n^x+n^{-x}}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I've never seen a limit like this before.
The only thing I have thought of is inserting random values of x to see it the limit exists.
For instance, in this case, for x=0 I'd have ##\frac{\infty^0-\infty^0}{\infty^0+\infty^0}##

which means the function doesn't exist. but every other value of x, it's okay.
Or am i supposed to solve the limit? (btw, how can I solve a limit for n to infinity??)
thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
jbunniii
Dec27-12, 11:03 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,164
By definition, [itex]n^0 = 1[/itex] for any nonzero [itex]n[/itex], so your fraction reduces to
[tex]\frac{n^0 - n^0}{n^0 + n^0} = \frac{1 - 1}{1 + 1} = \frac{0}{2} = 0[/tex]
What does this imly about the limit
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n^0 - n^0}{n^0 + n^0}[/tex]?
Felafel
Dec28-12, 04:53 AM
well, I'd say it means the limit exists and it is = 0 (because I can evaluate it before adding the infinities in the equation).
so the function should continuos on all ##\mathbb{R}##.
Or actually, how should i work for x→∞?
sorry if i have so many doubts about a simple question, but i have never seen this kind of limits before

Dick
Dec28-12, 08:45 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,251
Study the continuity of this function

Quote Quote by Felafel View Post
well, I'd say it means the limit exists and it is = 0 (because I can evaluate it before adding the infinities in the equation).
so the function should continuos on all ##\mathbb{R}##.
Or actually, how should i work for x→∞?
sorry if i have so many doubts about a simple question, but i have never seen this kind of limits before
It's not that hard. You just have to think through all the cases. Suppose x=1. Try and figure it out without just substituting 'infinity' for n. That's not very informative. Just put x=1.
Felafel
Dec29-12, 01:58 AM
ok.
I see that whatever x i choose (except x=0), I always get a 0 in the nominator and an infinity in the denominator, so appartently f(x)=0. But I'm not sure about that..
jbunniii
Dec29-12, 03:04 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,164
ok.
I see that whatever x i choose (except x=0), I always get a 0 in the nominator and an infinity in the denominator, so appartently f(x)=0. But I'm not sure about that..
Let's take a simple concrete case, say x = 1. Then
[tex]\frac{n^x - n^{-x}}{n^x + n^{-x}} = \frac{n - 1/n}{n + 1/n} = \frac{1 - 1/n^2}{1 + 1/n^2}[/tex]
What is the limit of this expression as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?
Felafel
Dec30-12, 04:33 AM
Quote Quote by jbunniii View Post
Let's take a simple concrete case, say x = 1. Then
[tex]\frac{n^x - n^{-x}}{n^x + n^{-x}} = \frac{n - 1/n}{n + 1/n} = \frac{1 - 1/n^2}{1 + 1/n^2}[/tex]
What is the limit of this expression as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]?
for x=1 the limit is 1.
and for x=2 as well, because
##\frac{n^2-n^{-2}}{n^2+n^{-2}}##dividing both members by## \frac{1}{n^2} =\frac{1-\frac{1}{n^4}}{1+\frac{1}{n^4}}## and so forth ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}## except x=0, where f(x)=0.
Then, can i say it is continuos on all |R except between 0 and 1?
Dick
Dec30-12, 08:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
for x=1 the limit is 1.
and for x=2 as well, because
##\frac{n^2-n^{-2}}{n^2+n^{-2}}##dividing both members by## \frac{1}{n^2} =\frac{1-\frac{1}{n^4}}{1+\frac{1}{n^4}}## and so forth ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}## except x=0, where f(x)=0.
Then, can i say it is continuos on all |R except between 0 and 1?
You'd better try some more x values before you state a conclusion. What about x=(1/2) or x=(-1)?
Felafel
Dec30-12, 10:33 AM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
You'd better try some more x values before you state a conclusion. What about x=(1/2) or x=(-1)?
Ok.
I've tried several values and found out that if
##x>0 \Rightarrow f(x)=1##
##x=0 \Rightarrow f(x)=0##
##x<0 \Rightarrow \lim f(x)= \frac{\infty}{\infty}## so the function doesn't exist there
Also, it is discontinuos in 0.

Are my assumptions right?
Dick
Dec30-12, 11:50 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Ok.
I've tried several values and found out that if
##x>0 \Rightarrow f(x)=1##
##x=0 \Rightarrow f(x)=0##
##x<0 \Rightarrow \lim f(x)= \frac{\infty}{\infty}## so the function doesn't exist there
Also, it is discontinuos in 0.

Are my assumptions right?
Can you show how you reached that conclusion for x<0? Try x=(-1). infinity/infinity doesn't necessarily mean the limit is undefined.
Felafel
Dec30-12, 02:56 PM
for x=-1 I get
## \frac{1-\frac{1}{n{^-2}}}{1+ \frac{1}{n^{-2}}}##
##\frac{1-n^2}{1+n^2}= \frac{\infty}{\infty}##
If ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## doesn't mean it's undefined, when can i say the function is discontinuos?
Dick
Dec30-12, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
for x=-1 I get
## \frac{1-\frac{1}{n{^-2}}}{1+ \frac{1}{n^{-2}}}##
##\frac{1-n^2}{1+n^2}= \frac{\infty}{\infty}##
If ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## doesn't mean it's undefined, when can i say the function is discontinuos?
Divide numerator and denominator by n^2.
Felafel
Dec30-12, 03:46 PM
right, i didn't notice it, then for x<0 i get f(x)=-1.
what can i say if i get ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##? and when can i say that the function is not continuos, if that's not enough?
Dick
Dec30-12, 03:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
right, i didn't notice it, then for x<0 i get f(x)=-1.
what can i say if i get ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##? and when can i say that the function is not continuos, if that's not enough?
You can't say anything just from looking at ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##. A form like that might have a limit and it might not. Ok so f(x)=(-1) for x<0, f(0)=0 and f(x)=1 for x>0. What about continuity?
Felafel
Dec30-12, 04:24 PM
well, as the right limit is different from the left one, I'd say 0 is a discontinuity point (the only one in R).
fortunately, there are no infinity/infinity cases in this function. but if one of these cases happens with a similar limit, should i just leave it? (if algebric manipulation can't help)
thank you very much for your help, anyway :)
Dick
Dec30-12, 04:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
well, as the right limit is different from the left one, I'd say 0 is a discontinuity point (the only one in R).
fortunately, there are no infinity/infinity cases in this function. but if one of these cases happens with a similar limit, should i just leave it? (if algebric manipulation can't help)
thank you very much for your help, anyway :)
Yes, it's discontinuous only at 0. Leaving a limit as ∞/∞ is about the same thing as saying 'I don't know what the limit is'. If algebra doesn't help you resolve it then there are other tools like l'Hopital.

Register to reply