Endurance->permanent academia position?

by Arsenic&Lace
Tags: academia, position
Share this thread:
Vanadium 50
Dec26-12, 03:36 PM
Mentor
P: 16,171
StatGuy, I am not arguing that that's not the way things should be. (ParticleGrl makes a similar point) I am instead discussing how thing actually are - or at least were. Certainly experimental HEP could do a better job than it does.

My point was that there is - or at least was - an opportunity to help businesses (and making money doing it) using the same kind of statistics as used in experimental HEP.
StatGuy2000
Dec26-12, 03:42 PM
P: 564
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
StatGuy, I am not arguing that that's not the way things should be. (ParticleGrl makes a similar point) I am instead discussing how thing actually are - or at least were. Certainly experimental HEP could do a better job than it does.

My point was that there is - or at least was - an opportunity to help businesses (and making money doing it) using the same kind of statistics as used in experimental HEP.
Fair enough. And I agree with you that the kind of statistics that were used in experimental HEP are the same as that can be used in businesses for data mining/analytics -- one of the reasons why I asked ParticleGrl whether those physics PhD graduates who she knew of that transitioned to statistics/data analytics type work often come from a background in HEP or astronomy.
ParticleGrl
Dec26-12, 05:18 PM
P: 682
I agree with you that the kind of statistics that were used in experimental HEP are the same as that can be used in businesses for data mining/analytics
Just to be clear what I tend to think of as the skill Vanadium is talking about isn't actually KNOWING statistics- its having the ability (and perhaps the arrogance, to use the word from Shalizi's blog) to reinvent the wheel to solve the problem.
DarrenM
Jan2-13, 12:11 PM
P: 81
This has been a very interesting discussion.

If I may venture a very small detour, I'd like to ask how much of this information also applies to Mathematics/Applied Mathematics PhDs? I know this forum has significantly fewer "math folk" than physics--still, any information would be helpful.
ParticleGrl
Jan2-13, 03:01 PM
P: 682
If I may venture a very small detour, I'd like to ask how much of this information also applies to Mathematics/Applied Mathematics PhDs?
This is just an educated guess, but most of the math phds I know were seriously considering the faculty job market after only 1 postdoc, and all of the physics phds I know did two postdocs before approaching the faculty market. This suggests to me that while its still very difficult, its a tad easier.

Register to reply