Pros and Cons of Academia vs. Industry

In summary: I don't want to use this as a springboard to a rant about academia, but I have read and heard multiple times that academia is not what it's cracked up to be. I want to work hard and be rewarded for my efforts, not be told what to do all the time and have to work for somebody else.In summary, many people believe that academia is not what it's cut out to be, and that you have to work hard for little pay. You also have to contend with being told what to do, and not having much freedom. It sounds like going into academia is not for you if you want to be self-sufficient.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Hello PF! I was just wondering what the main pros and cons of working in both academia and industry are. I have read some things about this, but sometimes the texts just sounded biased.

Personally, I have always wanted to go into academia, based on my limited amount of understanding, I’ve always perceived it to be an opportunity to study what I am truly interested in. I know that sounds naïve, and probably it is. However, a bunch of people that I know personally seem to be at the consensus that academia is not what it’s cut out to be. Their reasoning as follows:

1) You have to work really, really hard.
2) You’re paid less.
3) The amount of freedom that you’re thinking about is nothing but a fantasy for the most part. Generally, you’ll still be told what to do, no matter how long you’ve worked.
4) Sure, you might do the research you want eventually but then you’ll have to fight for a grant all the time.
5) You are given very little feedback on your work and you often have to work alone (?)
6) There are too many academic research scientists already.
7) Going into academia will lead you nowhere. You’ll go to graduate school, do a postdoc eventually, and become a professor. The End.

I’m totally okay with the first two points--my whole intent is to work hard/get my hands dirty and, as long as I can survive alright, I don’t really care about being paid a lot. As for the last five, I’m not sure what to think about those...

3) Still being forced to do what I am told when I am not interested in any of it rather defeats the purpose of going into academia for me. Obviously, I expect to have to work with/for somebody at first. Nonetheless, the prospect of never being able to do what I want is disappointing.
4) ...not thinking about this now...
5) The idea of not receiving much feedback, advice, or criticism and having to work alone does not sound very pleasant. I’ve perceived pursing research as the exact opposite and wonder if this is true or not.
6) Really? There are more scientists in academia rather than industry? How exactly would this negatively affect anyone who also wants to go in that direction?
7) The idea of eventually becoming a teacher/professor of some sort is horrible to me. If I’ve spent years doing a postdoc, shouldn’t I at least have the option of doing something other than teach? Just my opinion.

I am not interested in working in industry because I see the goals of a commercial company to be quite different from an academic institution--research for profit versus research for the sheer desire of learning something new that may (or may not) be of any practical benefit. I’m more interested in the latter. I have read and learned about various instances where a commercial company has stopped an incredibly great research project in order to devote more time to projects that would yield a greater profit for the company (I lack immediate references, sorry). I don’t like this at all.

So is there anything else to be added to this/is wrong? What’s your opinion and what have you seen? Additionally, are my perceptions horribly incorrect and priorities reversed?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and feeding my curiosity! I’ve still got a long way to go, but am really interested in this, nevertheless. I greatly appreciate your input and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
One question to ask yourself is, "Why should someone pay you to do research into something with no practical benefit?" Historically universities have done this type of research, and professors spend part of their time teaching (thus justifying their paychecks) and part of it doing research. It sounds like you don't want to teach, and don't want to study anything with practical benefits, so who are you expecting to pay you? Perhaps your best bet is to make a killing in the stock market or some other field, and then you will be self-supporting and can do whatever you want.

Likes symbolipoint, beamie564, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
there are multiple threads about this, long and short of it, if the planets align correctly you'll get an academic appointment. The APS has put out a study on this, for the most part a huge portion of the people who get PhD's end up in industry. Get used to the idea of having a boss who will tell you what to do and when to do it and you won't be as disappointed.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and DrSteve
phyzguy said:
It sounds like you don't want to teach, and don't want to study anything with practical benefits, so who are you expecting to pay you?
No I don't want to teach, but I do want to study something of practical benefit...just not in industry. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Dr Transport said:
Get used to the idea of having a boss who will tell you what to do and when to do it and you won't be as disappointed.
I have no problem with this! It's just that I want to eventually have an opportunity to do what I want. What are the chances?

My suggestion is to get your degree then start a business for yourself, that way you can support whom you want and do the types of work you desire. If you want to go after contract work supporting a national lab, that is great, just remember there is a bunch of overhead associated with that.

Dr Transport said:
My suggestion is to get your degree then start a business for yourself, that way you can support whom you want and do the types of work you desire. If you want to go after contract work supporting a national lab, that is great, just remember there is a bunch of overhead associated with that.
Thank you.

However, ehem, I'm only 16 and just wanted to know if my perceptions of both academia and industry were accurate or not?

Aspirations for an academic career are great, don't get me wrong, but the chances of that are very slim at best. There are plenty of industries out there that do really good practical work, but you have to remember, even universities are profit making entities. Knowledge for knowledge sake is a great thing, but if someone doesn't think it worthwhile funding, your going to be really hungry and poor.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Dr Transport said:
Aspirations for an academic career are great, don't get me wrong, but the chances of that are very slim at best. There are plenty of industries out there that do really good practical work, but you have to remember, even universities are profit making entities. Knowledge for knowledge sake is a great thing, but if someone doesn't think it worthwhile funding, your going to be really hungry and poor.
Okay, thanks for your honest input. I appreciate it.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I don't want to teach, but I do want to study something of practical benefit...just not in industry.
There's plenty of applied research in academia, but you'll still have to teach if you get one of those coveted professor slots at a research university. Probably two or three courses or sections per semester, alongside your research. (Full time teaching load without research is usually four courses or sections per semester.)

There are also research positions at government labs, but there aren't as many of those as at universities.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
There are plenty of top-notch industrial labs out there, for example with IBM, Google, and Microsoft are three big names that come to mind. I mean, Microsoft and IBM do research on quantum computing. Will this likely turn a nice profit some day? Most definitely, however it's hardly a quick return on investment.

It's too bad Bell Labs is no longer what it once was.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

1. What are the main differences between academia and industry?

The main difference between academia and industry is their primary purpose. Academia focuses on research and the advancement of knowledge, while industry is focused on the practical application of that knowledge to create products or services.

2. What are the pros of working in academia?

Working in academia allows for a high level of academic freedom and the opportunity to conduct research in a specific field of interest. It also offers the chance to mentor and teach students, and the potential for tenure and job security.

3. What are the pros of working in industry?

Working in industry often leads to higher salaries and more opportunities for career advancement. It also offers the chance to work on real-world problems and see the direct impact of your work. Additionally, industry positions often come with benefits such as health insurance and retirement plans.

4. What are the cons of working in academia?

Academia can be highly competitive and requires a significant amount of time and effort to secure funding and publish research. Tenure-track positions are also becoming increasingly scarce, leading to job insecurity for many academics. Additionally, salaries in academia are often lower compared to industry positions.

5. What are the cons of working in industry?

One of the main drawbacks of working in industry is the potential for less autonomy and a narrower focus on a specific area of research. Additionally, the pressure to produce profitable results and meet deadlines can be high. Industry positions may also require longer work hours and less job security compared to academia.