by Swimmingly!
Tags: definite, hard, improper, integral
Share this thread:
Swimmingly!
Dec29-12, 08:35 PM
P: 45
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Some friend of mine found this on a book:
[tex]\int_{0}^{+inf}\frac{1-cos(\omega t)}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }=ln[\frac{(\frac{T}{C})!}{|(\frac{T}{C}-iTt)!|}][/tex]
The proof is left for the reader.
2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
First very safe step:
cos(ωt)=Re(e^(iωt))

Second.1: A possibility is using a substitution of: x=e^ω But now instead of 1/ω we have 1/ln(x) which is difficult to handle in integration.

Second.2: I tried using derivation under the integral sign which I've basically never used before, assuming the legality of my move. If it=A.
[tex]I=\int_{0}^{+inf}\frac{1-e^{it\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }=
\int_{0}^{+inf}\frac{1-e^{A\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dA}I=
\int_{0}^{+inf}\frac{\partial }{\partial A}\frac{1-e^{A\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }=\int_{0}^{+inf}\frac{-e^{A\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)}[/tex]
Which may not be convergent. At least as ω goes to zero the function goes to infinite. And as it goes to infinite 1/T must be greater than the exponent of the upper part of the fraction. And I still have to integrate with respect to A after.

Alternative methods:
Use of representation by series. Maybe with the help of integration by parts.
Assuming the result is similar to the derivative result and just try differentiating.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Mark44
Jan2-13, 05:42 PM
Mentor
P: 21,216
Quote Quote by Swimmingly! View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Some friend of mine found this on a book:
[tex]\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{1-cos(\omega t)}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }=ln[\frac{(\frac{T}{C})!}{|(\frac{T}{C}-iTt)!|}][/tex]
What's the variable of integration? You omitted it. Is it ##\omega##? If so, the integral should have d##\omega## in it.

BTW, the LaTeX code for ∞ is \infty. I replaced your "inf" things throughout your post.
Quote Quote by Swimmingly! View Post
The proof is left for the reader.
2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
First very safe step:
cos(ωt)=Re(e^(iωt))

Second.1: A possibility is using a substitution of: x=e^ω But now instead of 1/ω we have 1/ln(x) which is difficult to handle in integration.

Second.2: I tried using derivation under the integral sign which I've basically never used before, assuming the legality of my move. If it=A.
[tex]I=\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{1-e^{it\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }=
\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{1-e^{A\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dA}I=
\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{\partial }{\partial A}\frac{1-e^{A\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }=\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{-e^{A\omega}}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)}[/tex]
Which may not be convergent. At least as ω goes to zero the function goes to infinite. And as it goes to infinite 1/T must be greater than the exponent of the upper part of the fraction. And I still have to integrate with respect to A after.

Alternative methods:
Use of representation by series. Maybe with the help of integration by parts.
Assuming the result is similar to the derivative result and just try differentiating.
Swimmingly!
Jan6-13, 02:38 PM
P: 45
Thank you, I didn't know that about latex and I forgot to write dω. ALL INTEGRALS ARE WITH RESPECT TO dω.

The problem is still open. If anyone can help here it is better written:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1-cos(\omega t)}{e^{\omega /C}(e^{\omega /T}-1)\omega }dω=ln[\frac{(\frac{T}{C})!}{|(\frac{T}{C}-iTt)!|}][/tex]

Register to reply