Mellin transform of Dirac delta function ##\delta(t-a)##

In summary, the conversation discusses the Laplace transform of the Dirac delta function and its relationship to the Mellin transform. There is a discussion about using the residue theorem and the inverse Mellin transform. The conversation also mentions the equivalence of the Mellin transform and the Fourier transform in terms of the delta function.
happyparticle
Homework Statement
Mellin transform of Dirac delta function ##\delta(t-a)##
Relevant Equations
##F(s)= \int_0^{\infty} \delta (t-a)e^{-st} dt##

##f(t) = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_{\gamma - i \omega}^{\gamma +i \omega} F(s) e^{st} ds##
Hi,
I found Laplace transform of this Dirac delta function which is ##F(s) = e^{-st}## since ##\int_{\infty}^{-\infty} f(t) \delta (t-a) dt = f(a)##
and that ##\delta(x) = 0## if ##x \neq 0##

Then the Mellin transform
##f(t) = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_{\gamma - i \omega}^{\gamma +i \omega} e^{-sa} e^{st} ds##
Since there's no singularity I can't use the residue theorem, so I'm not sure what else can I use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a mistake, if someone can edit the post I would say the inverse Mellin transform.

You use e but wiki uses x as
The Mellin transform of a function f is

{\displaystyle \left\{{\mathcal {M}}f\right\}(s)=\varphi (s)=\int _{0}^{\infty }x^{s-1}f(x)\,dx.}
Are they equivalent?
1647860532674.png

Let ##f(x)=\delta(x-a)## a>0
[tex]\{Mf\}(s)= a^{s-1}[/tex]
[tex]\{M^{-1}\phi\}(x)= \frac{1}{2\pi i a}\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty} t^{-s} ds [/tex]
where t=x/a. It should be ##\delta(x-a)##.

I observe expression of delta(x) in Fourier transform[tex]\delta(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{-i\infty}^{i\infty}e^{px} dp[/tex]
is useful for the proof.

Last edited:

What is the Mellin transform of Dirac delta function ##\delta(t-a)##?

The Mellin transform of Dirac delta function ##\delta(t-a)## is given by ##\mathcal{M}[\delta(t-a)](s) = e^{-as}##, where ##s## is the complex parameter of the transform.

What is the significance of the Mellin transform of Dirac delta function?

The Mellin transform of Dirac delta function is used in mathematical analysis and signal processing to represent a single point (or impulse) in time or space as a continuous function in the frequency domain. It allows for the analysis of signals with discontinuities or singularities.

How is the Mellin transform of Dirac delta function related to the Laplace transform?

The Mellin transform of Dirac delta function is a special case of the Laplace transform, where the complex parameter ##s## is set to zero. This means that the Mellin transform can be seen as a generalization of the Laplace transform.

Can the Mellin transform of Dirac delta function be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Mellin transform of Dirac delta function can be used to solve differential equations with singularities. It can also be used to solve integral equations and convolution equations.

Are there any applications of the Mellin transform of Dirac delta function in physics or engineering?

Yes, the Mellin transform of Dirac delta function is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze signals with discontinuities, such as in circuit analysis and control systems. It is also used in quantum mechanics and in the study of fractals and self-similar systems.