Masters in Math | Chances for Physics Students | Applying to Europe

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic background and their desire to pursue a master's degree in mathematics from Europe. They are unsure about their chances as a physics student and are struggling with writing a statement of purpose for their application. The option of doing an internship before applying is also mentioned. The speaker is seeking advice on how to apply and the potential job opportunities after completing their master's degree. The conversation also mentions specific universities and websites for further research and advice.
rehanhulk
I have b.tech in engineering physics from Indian institute technology. I want to pursue masters in mathematics from europe. What are the chances of Physics student to get one. I am finding it difficult to write a SOP for applied mathematics/statistics/financial mathematics.

Can anyone help me here how to pursue applying here. OR should i go for internship first and then apply for it next year
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
You have B.Tech in Engineering Physics from IITB/D/M. In which year you are currently. If you looking in Europe Cambridge or Oxford are best choices.
Tests to Take from India, TOEFL/IELTS, GRE(General) & GRE Mathematics. For Internship look at Tata Institute of Fundamentals Research.(tifr.res.in) or visit internshala.com
Internships or IMO medals are a great help in International School applications.
You can talk to anothers who applying on http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/india/

Any other queries are welcomed.

Thanx for the reply . I have given the TOEFL but not the GRE as european univeristies generally don't need gre scores. i was thinking about the internship because i am not sure whether i want to pursue higher studies. I am very much interested in this field but i am not considering applying for Phd so i don't want to get stuck after my masters in mathematics. Whats your opinion about masters in mathematics?? anyone you
know..

ThankYou in advance

What type of Jobs you want to do after the Graduate Studies. If you are Interested in Mathematics and just want a degree of Masters in Mathematics then you can do this later in your life.

Quants , analyst or anything else interesting and challenging

Go to the Masters in Mathematics and Cambridge is a nice place for that, Also give ManMohan Singh Scholarship for the Talented Indians.

1. What is a Masters in Math?

A Masters in Math is a graduate-level degree program that focuses on advanced mathematics concepts and theories. It typically involves coursework in areas such as calculus, algebra, geometry, and statistics, and may also include a research component.

2. Can physics students apply for a Masters in Math program?

Yes, physics students can apply for a Masters in Math program. Many universities welcome students from diverse backgrounds, and having a background in physics can be beneficial for pursuing a Masters in Math, as there is overlap in some areas of study.

3. What are the chances of getting accepted into a Masters in Math program in Europe?

The chances of getting accepted into a Masters in Math program in Europe vary depending on the university and program. Generally, competition for international students can be high, so it is important to have a strong academic background and to meet all application requirements.

4. Are there any specific requirements for applying to a Masters in Math program in Europe?

Specific requirements for applying to a Masters in Math program in Europe may vary, but most programs will require a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as math or physics, and may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

5. Are there any benefits to studying for a Masters in Math in Europe?

Studying for a Masters in Math in Europe can offer many benefits, including exposure to different cultures and perspectives, the opportunity to learn from world-renowned professors, and access to cutting-edge research facilities. Additionally, a degree from a European university may be highly regarded in the academic and professional world.