Calculating Reflection angle in a 2D plane.

In summary, the formula for calculating reflection angle in a 2D plane is θ<sub>r</sub> = θ<sub>i</sub> - 2θ<sub>n</sub>, the incident angle can be determined by drawing a line from the point of incidence to the point of contact on the reflecting surface, the reflection angle cannot be greater than the incident angle, changing the angle of incidence will also change the reflection angle, and the reflection angle cannot be negative.
becka221
Im trying to calculate the refelction angle of 2 points in a 2d plane, but not the same distance away from the reflection surface, and I'm drawing a blank.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
becka221 said:
refelction angle of 2 points in a 2d plane

:confused:

Can you provide some more description of your problem?

If I know x and y, how can i calculate x1 and x2 or 0?

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating reflection angle in a 2D plane?

The formula for calculating reflection angle in a 2D plane is: θr = θi - 2θn, where θr is the reflection angle, θi is the incident angle, and θn is the normal angle.

2. How do I determine the incident angle in a 2D plane?

The incident angle in a 2D plane can be determined by drawing a line from the point of incidence to the point of contact on the reflecting surface. The angle between this line and the normal line (perpendicular to the reflecting surface) is the incident angle.

3. Can the reflection angle be greater than the incident angle in a 2D plane?

No, the reflection angle cannot be greater than the incident angle in a 2D plane. The reflection angle is always equal to the incident angle minus twice the normal angle. Since the normal angle cannot be negative, the reflection angle cannot be greater than the incident angle.

4. What is the effect of changing the angle of incidence on the reflection angle in a 2D plane?

The reflection angle will also change when the angle of incidence is changed. As the angle of incidence increases, the reflection angle will also increase. Similarly, as the angle of incidence decreases, the reflection angle will also decrease. This relationship is described by the formula θr = θi - 2θn.

5. Can the reflection angle be negative in a 2D plane?

No, the reflection angle cannot be negative in a 2D plane. The reflection angle is always the incident angle minus twice the normal angle. Since the normal angle cannot be greater than the incident angle, the reflection angle cannot be negative.