Can anyone explain this sun reflection in terms of angles?

In summary, the sun reflects off of water droplets because the water droplets are agitated and this causes more light to be reflected.
WilkinzMicawber
I'm trying to understand the physics of reflection to better draw objects. Normally, you see the reflection of a light source on metallic surfaces where the angle of incidence can equal the angle of reflection. This should reflect an image of the source that is approximately equal in size to how big the source looks from the point of view of the reflection surface, if the surface is non-dispersive. Why is it, then, that the sun stretches across the ocean so far in this pic? I know that water is dispersive, but i don't see how dispersion alone accounts for how far the sun is reflected.

I'm guessing it's explained by the agitation of the water.

http://www.wallpaperup.com/117114/landscape_sunset_sun_reflection.html

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6132/5916999452_9646f5f5cb_b.jpg

In this picture, you can see that the parts of the water facing away from the viewer reflect the sunlight from the position of the viewer up until where the sun would be reflected on unagitated water. Past this point in a direction, the sun is reflected on surfaces facing the viewer. Since surfaces facing away from the viewer are more blocked than those facing towards, more light comes from behind where the sun would be reflected on unagitated water. I believe this is the full explanation, no?

Forget for a moment the bright center lane of the reflection and focus on the edges. What do you see? Does it suggest an answer to your question?

EDIT: Ah. I see our posts crossed and you are getting it although I think the full picture is simply stated as just an effect of reflections off of an undulating surface.

Likes berkeman
WilkinzMicawber said:
Since surfaces facing away from the viewer are more blocked than those facing towards,
I'm not sure what you mean by this comment.
WilkinzMicawber said:
I'm guessing it's explained by the agitation of the water.
Yes. If the water is perfectly (mirror) flat, there will be just one perfect of the Sun.
The randomly rippled surface of the water can be looked upon as a whole set of small plane mirrors at random angles; facets, if you like. 'Rays of light' from the Sun will strike all of these elemental mirrors. Rays will be reflected in all directions. Rays from each particular mirror in any particular area of the water will follow the laws of reflection and there will be some of those mirrors which will present a tiny image of the Sun to an observer. Most of the mirrors will send rays in a other directions - presenting images for observers in other directions. Whichever region of water the observer looks, he will see some reflected images in the water but there will be more facets that satisfy the condition for image formation along a line between the horizon just under the Sun and the observer. Paths off that line will produce fewer images and the result is the broad line which tails off on either side. Viewing the water with the Sun over you shoulder, there will be very few facets producing any image at all unless the water is very rough, with almost vertical sides to the waves. Also, the reflection coefficient also reduces considerably as the angle of incidence reduces - the most reflection being for a very oblique angle. (See this wiki link) so the reflection intensity is much higher near the horizon.

Likes davenn

1. Can you explain why the sun appears to be reflecting off of a body of water?

The sun appears to be reflecting off of a body of water due to the principle of reflection. When light from the sun hits the surface of the water, it bounces off at the same angle it hit. This creates the illusion of a reflection.

2. What causes the angle of reflection to be equal to the angle of incidence?

The law of reflection states that the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence. This is because of the reflective properties of the surface. When light hits a surface, it is absorbed and re-emitted in all directions. However, the angle at which it is re-emitted is equal to the angle at which it hit the surface.

3. Why does the angle of incidence affect the size of the reflection?

The size of the reflection is affected by the angle of incidence because of the phenomenon of refraction. When light passes through a medium with a different density, such as air to water, it bends. This bending can cause the reflection to appear larger or smaller depending on the angle at which the light enters the water.

4. How does the position of the sun affect the angle of reflection?

The position of the sun plays a crucial role in the angle of reflection. The angle of incidence is measured from the point where the light hits the surface to the point where it is reflected. Therefore, as the position of the sun changes in the sky, so does the angle at which the light hits the surface and is reflected.

5. Can you explain the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection refers to the reflection of light off of a smooth and shiny surface, such as a mirror. In this type of reflection, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, and the light is reflected in a single direction. On the other hand, diffuse reflection occurs when light hits a rough and uneven surface, causing the light to scatter in all directions. This type of reflection is what creates the sun's reflection on a body of water.