Why do so many polyatomic ions contain oxygen?

In summary: Additionally, the covalent nature of these bonds means that they are good at holding onto electrons, which is why oxygen-free ions are so stable.
mishima
Why do so many polyatomic ions contain oxygen?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is this a dumb question for some reason?

It's vague. Is there a specific reaction or set of reactions that you're interested in, in a particular kind of situation/environment? Otherwise, I don't really know what to say. There are some with oxygen and some without. I have no idea what "so many" means here.

In most gen chem texts (or web search) there is a table or list of common polyatomic ions. It seems the vast majority of them contain oxygen. A few exceptions are CN-, and NH4+. I am curious if there is a physical reason for this pattern.

For example this list:

http://www.iun.edu/~cpanhd/C101webnotes/chemical-nomenclature/images/polyions.jpg

"Reason" is that molecules with oxygen are typically quite stable with a negative charge. Especially if the molecule contains a resonance structure near the oxygen. Since oxygen is very electronegative it doesn't mind keeping the charge to other molecules as easily as those without oxygen. Could be more technical I guess but that's the gist.

Hi,
Nice question. I agree with ChaseRLewis. By definition an anion is a negatively charged ion that easily combines with metal cations or protons to form a salt or an acid. In order for an ion to be capable of easily donating electrons it must have a very polar or easily polarisable structure which at the same time must be stable. The most electronegative elements are fluorine and oxygen so they should form the most polar bonds, but flourine does not form stable dianions. There are, however some oxygen-free ions with relatively covalent bonds, which are relatively stable, such as (HS)-, (CN)- , (SCN)-, NH2- and a few others such as (N3)- (C2)2- or (RC2)2- whose compounds with metals are generally very unstable.

1. Why is oxygen so commonly found in polyatomic ions?

Oxygen is highly electronegative, meaning it has a strong attraction for electrons. This makes it favorable for bonding with other atoms to form ions.

2. Can polyatomic ions exist without oxygen?

Yes, polyatomic ions can exist without oxygen. However, oxygen is a very versatile atom and allows for a wide range of possible combinations with other elements, making it a common component in polyatomic ions.

3. What makes oxygen a good candidate for forming polyatomic ions?

Aside from its high electronegativity, oxygen also has a small atomic radius, allowing it to easily bond with other atoms. It also has multiple valence electrons, making it capable of forming multiple bonds.

4. Are there any exceptions to the presence of oxygen in polyatomic ions?

Yes, there are some polyatomic ions that do not contain oxygen. Examples include ammonium (NH4+) and cyanide (CN-).

5. How does the presence of oxygen affect the properties of polyatomic ions?

Oxygen can greatly influence the physical and chemical properties of polyatomic ions. For example, the presence of oxygen in sulfate (SO4 2-) and nitrate (NO3 -) ions gives them a negative charge, making them highly soluble in water.