Why does chlorate seem to break the pattern of polyatomic ions?

• Thread starter FysicsPhorums
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, the pattern for row 3 polyatomic ions on the periodic table is that they all have 4 oxygens and the charge increases by one as you move from left to right. However, chlorine breaks this pattern as it can have anywhere from 1-4 oxygens and still have a -1 charge. The naming of the ions is based on the most common form, with the ending -ate for elements with 3 or more oxygens. There are exceptions to this trend, as seen with nitrate, bromate, iodate, and carbonate. There are also no elements with 5 different oxyanions.
FysicsPhorums
Hi, I was reviewing the polyatomic ions, and on the third row of the periodic table they seemed to follow a pattern going from left to right on the periodic table. For example:
Silicate = SiO44-; phosphate = PO43-; sulfate = SO42-

For row 3 on the periodic table, it looks like each polyatomic has 4 oxygens, the charge increases by one as one moves to the right along the periodic table, and I think the oxidation numbers of the non-oxygen elements goes +4, +5, +6, respectively. However, chlorate is ClO3-, which seems to break the pattern, since it has only 3 oxygens instead of 4, and the oxidation number on chlorine of +5, instead of +7.

Is there any reason chlorate seems to "break" the pattern of the polyatomic ions so far, and any reason why for naming purposes, ClO3- is chlorate, instead of chlorite (like PO33- is phosphite, for example)?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well actually there is a Perchlorate ion that is ClO4 that has a negative 1 charge so the pattern isn't broken. Chlorine is just very flexible in a sense because it can have anywhere between 1-4 oxygen atoms and still have a minus 1 charge.
ClO is Hypochlorite
ClO2 is Chlorite
ClO3 is Chlorate
ClO4 is Perchlorate
The naming has to do with the other form of the polyatomic ion can be.

So is ClO4- called perchlorate simply because there is no ClO5-? I understand how perchlorate would be named relative to chlorate, and so on, but I'm trying to figure out why the naming for the other polyatomic ions I mentioned had 4 oxygens for the "ate" names. But for chlorate, the form with 3 oxygens carries the "ate" name. Thanks again for the help!

In general, the most common oxyanion for an element will end in ate. You will find many trends in the periodic table, but you will also find many exceptions.

Some examples I can think of for ate's that have 3 oxygens are nitrate, bromate, iodate, carbonate (although that has a minus 2 charge)

And I don't think there is an element that has 5 different oxyanions.

I can provide an explanation for why chlorate may seem to break the pattern of polyatomic ions. First, it is important to note that the patterns observed in polyatomic ions are not strict rules, but rather general trends that can be observed. There are always exceptions and variations within chemical compounds.

One possible reason for the difference in the number of oxygen atoms in chlorate compared to the other polyatomic ions is due to the electronegativity of the elements involved. Oxygen is more electronegative than chlorine, meaning it has a stronger attraction for electrons. This can result in a more stable compound with fewer oxygen atoms bonded to the central chlorine atom.

Additionally, the naming of polyatomic ions is based on historical and traditional naming conventions, rather than strict rules. The name "chlorate" has been used for a long time and has become the accepted name for this particular polyatomic ion. While it may not follow the same naming pattern as other polyatomic ions, it is important to remember that the name of a compound does not necessarily reflect its chemical properties.

In conclusion, while chlorate may seem to break the pattern of polyatomic ions, there are valid scientific reasons for its structure and naming. As scientists, we must always be open to exceptions and variations in chemical compounds and continue to explore and understand their properties.

1. What is the chemical formula for chlorate polyatomic ion?

The chemical formula for chlorate polyatomic ion is ClO3-. It consists of one chlorine atom and three oxygen atoms, with a negative charge of -1.

2. What is the structure of chlorate polyatomic ion?

The structure of chlorate polyatomic ion is trigonal pyramidal, with the chlorine atom at the center and three oxygen atoms bonded to it. The oxygen atoms are arranged in a triangular shape, with a lone pair of electrons on the central chlorine atom.

3. What are the properties of chlorate polyatomic ion?

Chlorate polyatomic ion is a strong oxidizing agent and is highly reactive. It is soluble in water and has a negative charge, making it attracted to positive ions. It is also used in the production of bleach and explosives.

4. How is chlorate polyatomic ion formed?

Chlorate polyatomic ion is formed through the combination of chlorine gas (Cl2) and water (H2O). The reaction produces hypochlorous acid (HClO) which then decomposes into chlorate ion (ClO3-) and hydrogen ions (H+).

5. What are some common compounds that contain chlorate polyatomic ion?

Some common compounds that contain chlorate polyatomic ion include sodium chlorate (NaClO3), potassium chlorate (KClO3), and calcium chlorate (Ca(ClO3)2). These compounds are often used in the production of herbicides, disinfectants, and fireworks.