Adding Vectors

by odolwa99
Tags: adding, vectors
Share this thread:
odolwa99
Jan13-13, 11:01 AM
P: 85
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Just a quick question. In the attached image, I can say [itex]\vec{am}=\vec{c}-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}[/itex]. Although subtraction is not commutative, can I also say (relative strictly to vectors) that [itex]\vec{am}=-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}+\vec{c}[/itex], considering [itex]\vec{am}=\frac{1}{2}\vec{ao}+\vec{c}[/itex]?

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
math.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Mark44
Jan13-13, 12:10 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
Quote Quote by odolwa99 View Post

Just a quick question. In the attached image, I can say [itex]\vec{am}=\vec{c}-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}[/itex]. Although subtraction is not commutative, can I also say (relative strictly to vectors) that [itex]\vec{am}=-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}+\vec{c}[/itex], considering [itex]\vec{am}=\frac{1}{2}\vec{ao}+\vec{c}[/itex]?

Many thanks.
Subtraction isn't commutative, as you noted, but addition is, and that's really what you're doing. a - b = a + (-b), which is the same as -b + a.
SammyS
Jan13-13, 12:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,800
Quote Quote by odolwa99 View Post

Many thanks.
Saying that [itex]\ \vec{am}=\vec{c}-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}\ [/itex] is essentially the same as saying [itex]\ \vec{am}=-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}+\vec{c}\,,\ [/itex] because [itex]\ \vec{c}-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}=\vec{c}+ \left(-\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}\right)\ [/itex] and vector addition is commutative.

odolwa99
Jan13-13, 12:26 PM
P: 85
Adding Vectors

Great. Thank you very much.

Register to reply