Simplifying expression with vectors

In summary, to simplify the given expression, we can use the triple vector product and the fact that the norm of a vector is equal to the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself. By expanding the expression and factoring it, we can simplify it to a form that only includes dot products. However, it may not be possible to simplify it further and it may result in a square root of a product of three dot products.
olgerm
Gold Member

Homework Statement

To simplify:
  1. ##\mid \vec b -\frac{\vec a*\vec b}{\vec a*\vec c} * \vec c \mid##
  2. ##\mid \vec b -\frac{(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec b)-(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec b*\vec c)}{(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec c*\vec c)-(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec c)} * \vec c \mid##
Vectors may be any dimensional!

Homework Equations

##\vec a*\vec b=\sum(a_i*b_i)##
##\mid \vec b \mid=\sqrt{\sum(b_i^2)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

1. ##\sqrt{(\vec b*\vec b)*(\vec a*\vec c)^2-2*(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec b*\vec c)*(\vec a*\vec c)+(\vec c*\vec c)*(\vec a*\vec b)^2}/(\vec a*\vec c)## is it correct? Can it be more simplified ? Can it be written as one product under square root ?To simplify it I wrote vectors as 3-dimensional vectors and opened braces: ##b2^2*a3^2*c3^2+b1^2*a3^2*c3^2+b2^2*a2^2*c3^2+2*b1*a1*b2*a2*c3^2+b1^2*a1^2*c3^2+2*b1^2*a2*a3*c2*c3+2*a1*b2^2*a3*c1*c3+b3^2*a3^2*c2^2+2*b1*a1*b3*a3*c2^2+a2^2*b3^2*c2^2+b1^2*a2^2*c2^2+b1^2*a1^2*c2^2+2*a1*a2*b3^2*c1*c2*+b3^2*a3^2*c1^2+2*b2*a2*b3*a3*c1^2+a1^2*b3^2*c1^2+b2^2*a2^2*c1^2+a1^2*b2^2*c1^2*-2*b1*a1^2*b2*c1*c2-2*b1*a1^2*b3*c1*c3-2*b1*a1*b2*a3*c2*c3-2*b1*a1*a2*b3*c2*c3-2*b1*b2*a2^2*c1*c2-2*b1*b2*a2*a3*c1*c3-2*b1*a2*b3*a3*c1*c2-2*b1*b3*a3^2*c1*c3-2*a1*b2*a2*b3*c1*c3-2*a1*b2*b3*a3*c1*c2-2*b2*a2^2*b3*c2*c3-2*b2*b3*a3^2*c2*c3## but I can not factorisate it!
  2. ##\sqrt{(\vec b*\vec b)-2*(\frac{(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec b)-(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec b*\vec c)}{(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec c*\vec c)-(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec c)})*(\vec b*\vec c)+(\vec c*\vec c)*(\frac{(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec b)-(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec b*\vec c)}{(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec c*\vec c)-(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec c)})^2}## is it correct? Can it be more simplified ? Can it be written as one product under square root ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should really differentiate your dot products from ordinary multiplications; I'm seeing stars after all the asterisks o_O.
Anyways, it helps greatly if you recognise that [itex]|\vec{b}| = \sqrt{(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{b})}[/itex], and not rush to expand everything.

Not sure it's a simplification, but are you familiar with the triple vector product?

Fightfish said:
it helps greatly if you recognise that [itex]|\vec{b}| = \sqrt{(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{b})}[/itex]
I know it, but how it helps?

Fightfish said:
not rush to expand everything.
What should I do then?

olgerm said:
What should I do then?
Keep the vector forms.
olgerm said:
I know it, but how it helps?
As an example, let's say I have a vector [itex]\vec{c} = \alpha \vec{a} + \beta\vec{b} [/itex], and I want to find its norm. Then its straightforward for me to apply
[tex]|\vec{c}|^{2} = \left(\alpha \vec{a} + \beta\vec{b}\right) \cdot \left(\alpha \vec{a} + \beta\vec{b}\right) = \alpha^{2} |\vec{a}|^{2} + 2\alpha\beta \left(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}\right) + \beta^{2} |\vec{b}|^{2} [/tex]

Edit: Okay, I see that's essentially what you have there, although you have a typo in the first answer that threw me off.

Fightfish said:
Keep the vector forms.

As an example, let's say I have a vector [itex]\vec{c} = \alpha \vec{a} + \beta\vec{b} [/itex], and I want to find its norm. Then its straightforward for me to apply
[tex]|\vec{c}|^{2} = \left(\alpha \vec{a} + \beta\vec{b}\right) \cdot \left(\alpha \vec{a} + \beta\vec{b}\right) = \alpha^{2} |\vec{a}|^{2} + 2\alpha\beta \left(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}\right) + \beta^{2} |\vec{b}|^{2} [/tex]
I'm not seeing anything different here from what olgerm tried in the OP.
@olgerm, there is an interesting relationship between the two expressions (Q1 and Q2). Can you see how to get the second from the first?

Yeah, my bad, I was somewhat thrown off by a typo he made in his first answer, so I assumed he had messed up somewhere.
If you really want to "simplify" it further, you can ostensibly try to factor out the denominator. That let's you use the triple vector product as Haruspex suggested.

haruspex said:
Can you see how to get the second from the first?
##\mid \vec b -B * \vec c \mid##
  1. ##B=\frac{\vec a*\vec b}{\vec a*\vec c}##
  2. ##B=\frac{(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec b)-(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec b*\vec c)}{(\vec a*\vec b)*(\vec c*\vec c)-(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec c)}##
##\sqrt{(\vec b*\vec b)-2*B*(\vec b*\vec c)+B^2*(\vec c*\vec c)}##

Does anybody know, can these be more simplified ,so that simplified equation includes only dot products, or not?

The dot product symbol is written as \cdot, and the product of two real numbers x and y is written as xy. So you should write ##(\vec a\cdot\vec c)(\vec b\cdot\vec b)## instead of ##(\vec a*\vec c)*(\vec b*\vec b)## for example.

Is there a hint about what the simplified expressions should look like? I mean, it's straightforward to rewrite them as expressions that don't involve sums of vectors, but should those expressions be considered simpler? How do you know if what you get is simple enough?

Homework Statement

To simplify:
  1. ##\mid \vec b -\frac{\vec a \cdot \vec b}{\vec a \cdot \vec c} \vec c \mid=\sqrt{(\vec b \cdot \vec b)(\vec a \cdot \vec c)^2-2(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec b \cdot \vec c)(\vec a \cdot \vec c)+(\vec c \cdot \vec c)(\vec a \cdot \vec b)^2}/(\vec a \cdot \vec c)##
  2. ##\mid \vec b -\frac{(\vec a \cdot \vec c)(\vec b \cdot \vec b)-(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec b \cdot \vec c)}{(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec c \cdot \vec c)-(\vec a \cdot \vec c)*(\vec b \cdot \vec c)} \vec c \mid =\sqrt{(\vec b \cdot \vec b)-2(\frac{(\vec a \cdot \vec c)(\vec b \cdot \vec b)-(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec b \cdot \vec c)}{(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec c \cdot \vec c)-(\vec a \cdot \vec c)(\vec b \cdot \vec c)})(\vec b \cdot \vec c)+(\vec c \cdot \vec c)(\frac{(\vec a \cdot \vec c)(\vec b \cdot \vec b)-(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec b \cdot \vec c)}{(\vec a \cdot \vec b)(\vec c \cdot \vec c)-(\vec a \cdot \vec c)(\vec b \cdot \vec c)})^2}##
Fredrik said:
How do you know if what you get is simple enough?
I want in as simplified form as possible, but i do not know how simple is that!
For example may it be square root of product of 3 dot products?To simplify first one I opened braces and expanded it:
##b2^2*a3^2*c3^2+b1^2*a3^2*c3^2+b2^2*a2^2*c3^2+2*b1*a1*b2*a2*c3^2+b1^2*a1^2*c3^2+2*b1^2*a2*a3*c2*c3+2*a1*b2^2*a3*c1*c3+b3^2*a3^2*c2^2+2*b1*a1*b3*a3*c2^2+a2^2*b3^2*c2^2+b1^2*a2^2*c2^2+b1^2*a1^2*c2^2+2*a1*a2*b3^2*c1*c2*+b3^2*a3^2*c1^2+2*b2*a2*b3*a3*c1^2+a1^2*b3^2*c1^2+b2^2*a2^2*c1^2+a1^2*b2^2*c1^2*-2*b1*a1^2*b2*c1*c2-2*b1*a1^2*b3*c1*c3-2*b1*a1*b2*a3*c2*c3-2*b1*a1*a2*b3*c2*c3-2*b1*b2*a2^2*c1*c2-2*b1*b2*a2*a3*c1*c3-2*b1*a2*b3*a3*c1*c2-2*b1*b3*a3^2*c1*c3-2*a1*b2*a2*b3*c1*c3-2*a1*b2*b3*a3*c1*c2-2*b2*a2^2*b3*c2*c3-2*b2*b3*a3^2*c2*c3## but I can not factorise it! Can somebody (who for example has Wolfram Mathematica) factorise it for me?

I think it's a mistake to introduce the components of the vectors into the calculation. Note by the way that you're not allowed to make assumptions about how many of them there are.

What you did in post #8 looks like a good start. The last term under the square root can be simplified a lot. (I have only looked at problem 1). Edit: Uhh, I think I spoke to soon. It can't be simplified the way I thought. I will think about it some more.

Fredrik said:
I think it's a mistake to introduce the components of the vectors into the calculation. Note by the way that you're not allowed to make assumptions about how many of them there are.
I know ,but for example if I get ## (a_1*b_1+a_2*b_2+a_3*b_3)*(a_1*c_1+a_2*c_2+a_3*c_3)*(c_1*b_1+c_2*b_2+c_3*b_3) ## then I can just check is ## (\vec a \cdot \vec b) (\vec a \cdot \vec c)(\vec b \cdot \vec c)## equal to
olgerm said:
##\mid \vec b -\frac{\vec a*\vec b}{\vec a*\vec c} * \vec c \mid##
or not.

olgerm said:
haruspex said:

@olgerm, there is an interesting relationship between the two expressions (Q1 and Q2). Can you see how to get the second from the first?
(Edited by SammyS for readability.)
##\mid \vec b -B \vec c \mid##
  1. ##\displaystyle B=\frac{\vec a\cdot \vec b}{\vec a\cdot \vec c}##
  2. ##\displaystyle B=\frac{(\vec a\cdot \vec c) (\vec b\cdot \vec b)-(\vec a\cdot \vec b) (\vec b\cdot \vec c)}{(\vec a\cdot \vec b)(\vec c\cdot \vec c)-(\vec a\cdot \vec c(\vec b\cdot \vec c)}##
##\sqrt{(\vec b\cdot \vec b)-2B(\vec b\cdot \vec c)+B^2(\vec c\cdot \vec c)}##
Rather than that, substitute ##\ \vec b - \vec c \ ## in for ##\ \vec b \ ## in ##\displaystyle \ \left |\, \vec b -\frac{\vec a\cdot \vec b}{\vec a\cdot \vec c} \, \vec c \, \right| \ ##.

It seems to me that the vector triple product gives a form which is at least visually simplified.

I don't see anything better than to use the vector triple product as discussed above. Look up that term at Wikipedia or something, find a formula that contains an expression that looks a bit like what you have, and then try to use that formula. I'm not sure why that result should be considered "simpler" though.

Likes olgerm

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

How do you simplify an expression with vectors?

To simplify an expression with vectors, you can use the properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication. You can also use the distributive property to combine like terms.

What is vector addition and how is it used in simplifying expressions?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector. It is used in simplifying expressions by combining like terms and using the commutative and associative properties to rearrange the terms.

Can vectors be multiplied?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied by a scalar (a number). This is known as scalar multiplication, and it changes the magnitude of the vector without affecting its direction.

What is the importance of simplifying expressions with vectors?

Simplifying expressions with vectors allows for easier calculation and understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts. It also helps in solving more complex problems and making predictions in science and engineering fields.