Taylor Expansion of Natural Logarithm

by golanor
Tags: taylor
mfb
Jan13-13, 09:20 AM
Mentor
P: 10,815
"It could be larger" => you cannot use the general version of the lagrangian error to show convergence
It converges, but you cannot use this way to show it.

With c arbitrary small, it would diverge for other x as well, by the way.
golanor
Jan13-13, 10:16 AM
P: 54
yes, but since c is between x and 100, if x is bigger than 50 or smaller than 200 it won't diverge for any x and for any c.
when i pick x=1, for example, for 1<c<99 the limit diverges.
you cannot talk about a series in that case, because the remainder does not necessarily converge to 0.
mfb
Jan13-13, 10:39 AM
Mentor
Let me rewrite your limit a bit:

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{c(n+1)} \frac{(x-100)^n}{c^n}$$

Consider c=100-epsilon with some (small) constant epsilon: The first part goes to 0, the second part, neglecting its sign, can be written as
$$\frac{(100-x)^n}{(100-\epsilon)^n}$$
This is smaller than 1 for epsilon<x, which is easy to satisfy for x<50 (c is close to 100 then). x=50, c=50 gives convergence as well, and you covered the remaining parts.

The series can converge to 0. Where is the problem?
golanor
Jan14-13, 10:03 AM
It's very confusing. If the Lagrange remainder doesn't approach 0 it means you cannot estimate the function correctly, but in this case the calculation of the series does give accurate estimations.
It's very interesting.
Does anyone know the answer to this?
lurflurf
Jan14-13, 11:40 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,151
^The Lagrange remainder does approach 0, you have chosen a terrible way to estimate it. Either use a more subtle estimate of the Lagrange remainder or use the Cauchy Remainder or Schlömilch Remainder. Remember your estimate for c is quite crude.
golanor
Jan14-13, 01:35 PM
Quote Quote by lurflurf View Post
^The Lagrange remainder does approach 0, you have chosen a terrible way to estimate it. Either use a more subtle estimate of the Lagrange remainder or use the Cauchy Remainder or Schlömilch Remainder. Remember your estimate for c is quite crude.
The remainder must approach 0 for every c between x and 100.
If i can find even 1 such number for which the remainder does not approach 0, it means that the series is not a correct estimation for the function.
mfb
Jan15-13, 04:01 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by golanor View Post
If i can find even 1 such number for which the remainder does not approach 0, it means that the series is not a correct estimation for the function.
No: If you cannot find even 1 sequence cn, ...
But I found one.

Register to reply