How do I use induction more rigorously when making Taylor expansions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using Taylor expansions to find coefficients in a polynomial expansion by inducing a pattern from the first 3 or 4 derivatives of a function and evaluating it at a specific value. The individual is wondering if there is a way to make this process more rigorous, possibly by using the concept of "plugging in n+1". They provide an example of using induction to derive a formula for the non-relativistic kinetic energy from a relativistic energy expression. The conversation ends with a suggestion to learn more about writing a proof by induction to better understand the inductive step in this process.
Mayhem
When I do Taylor expansions, I take the first 3 or 4 derivatives of a function and try to induce a pattern, and then evaluate it at some value a (often 0) to find the coefficients in the polynomial expansion.

This is how my textbook does it, and how several other online sources do it as well, but can I make this inductive process slightly more rigorous? I remember hearing about "plugging in n+1" from a YouTube video a long time ago, and I'm wondering if that's relevant.

Sorry for being so vague, I hope it is clear what I'm trying to achieve.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Taylor series formula gives us each power definitely. I am not sure about you say it induction.

Mayhem said:
When I do Taylor expansions, I take the first 3 or 4 derivatives of a function and try to induce a pattern, and then evaluate it at some value a (often 0) to find the coefficients in the polynomial expansion.

This is how my textbook does it, and how several other online sources do it as well, but can I make this inductive process slightly more rigorous? I remember hearing about "plugging in n+1" from a YouTube video a long time ago, and I'm wondering if that's relevant.

Sorry for being so vague, I hope it is clear what I'm trying to achieve.
Can you give an example? The approach would tend to depend on the function in question. Sines and cosines are periodic, so they should be easier. But, a typical function requires a specific inductive argument.

PeroK said:
Can you give an example? The approach would tend to depend on the function in question. Sines and cosines are periodic, so they should be easier. But, a typical function requires a specific inductive argument.
Sure. This is from a recent assignment where I had to derive the non-relativistic KE from a relativistic energy expression, where we let ## v/c \rightarrow 0##

$$
\begin{align*}
f'(x) &= \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{(1-x)^{3/2}} \\
f''(x) &= \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{3}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{(1-x)^{5/2}} \\
f'''(x) &= \frac{1}{2} \cdot\frac{3}{2} \cdot \frac{5}{2}\frac{1}{(1-x)^{7/2}} \\
f''''(x) &= \frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{3}{2} \cdot\frac{5}{2}\cdot \frac{7}{2}\frac{1}{(1-x)^{9/2}} \\
&\Downarrow \mathrm{Induction} \\
f^{(n)}(x) &= \frac{1\cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot \cdot \cdot (2n-1)}{2^n} \frac{1}{(1-x)^{2n+1/2}}
\end{align*}
$$

Okay, so you can guess the formula (which must hold for ##n = 1##). Do you know how induction works, in terms of the inductive step?

PeroK said:
Okay, so you can guess the formula (which must hold for ##n = 1##). Do you know how induction works, in terms of the inductive step?
No, not really.

1. How do I determine the order of a Taylor expansion?

The order of a Taylor expansion is determined by the number of derivatives used in the expansion. For example, a first-order Taylor expansion uses the first derivative, a second-order uses the first and second derivatives, and so on.

2. What is the purpose of using induction in Taylor expansions?

Induction is used in Taylor expansions to prove that the expansion holds for all values of the variable within a given interval. This ensures that the expansion is valid and can be used for approximation.

3. How do I prove the validity of a Taylor expansion using induction?

To prove the validity of a Taylor expansion using induction, you must first show that the expansion holds for the base case (usually at x=0). Then, you must show that if the expansion holds for a certain value of x, it also holds for the next value of x. This process is repeated until the expansion is shown to hold for all values of x within the given interval.

4. Can I use induction for all types of Taylor expansions?

Yes, induction can be used for all types of Taylor expansions, including those with multiple variables or non-polynomial functions. However, the process may be more complex for these types of expansions.

5. How do I know if my Taylor expansion is accurate enough?

The accuracy of a Taylor expansion depends on the order of the expansion and the size of the interval it is valid for. Generally, the higher the order of the expansion, the more accurate it will be within a smaller interval. It is important to consider the purpose of the expansion and the level of accuracy required for your specific application.