Question about Taylor Expansions

• I
  • Thread starter cpburris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taylor
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Taylor expansion to solve a problem with a function dependent on x^n. The question is raised whether it is permissible to perform a change of variable and use the Taylor expansion with respect to y, given that x is small. While this may work in some cases, it is not always accurate and the derivatives will be different if the variable is changed again. The conversation also mentions using binomial expansion as an alternative method.
cpburris
Gold Member
I was working out a problem requiring a taylor expansion of ## \sqrt {1+x^2} ## (about ##x=0##). I needed to go out to the 5th term in the expansion, which, while not difficult, was long and annoying as the ##x^2## necessitated chain rules and product rules when taking the derivatives and the number of terms in each derivative just keeps increasing. I was wondering if a function which is strictly dependent on ##x^n## (##x^2## terms but no terms linear in ##x## for example), where ##x## is the small parameter, whether it is permissible to perform a change of variable, say ##y=x^n##, and perform the taylor expansion with respect to ##y## (as ##x## is small, then of course ##x^n## is small). I don't see any problem with doing that, but I wanted to make sure there isn't something I am missing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see a problem either. You basically define a new function and consider that. But why would you want to do this? You evaluate at ##x=0## anyway which makes many terms automatically zero. And you cannot take the ##y-##result and re-substitute ##y=x^n## in the polynomial. This is wrong. In the Taylor series we have terms ##\left. \dfrac{df(x^n)}{dx}\right|_{x=0}=\left. \dfrac{df(y)}{dx}\right|_{x=0} = \left. \dfrac{df(y)}{dy}\right|_{y=y(0)}\cdot \left. \dfrac{dy(x)}{dx}\right|_{x=0}## and you cannot pretend as if the second factor equals ##1##. And the higher the degree, the more factors and sums you get.

It might work in your example with the many zeros, but you cannot say it in general. You can consider the new function, but if you change the variable again, the derivatives are different: differentiation and substitution do not commute.

Since ##\sqrt{1+x^2}=(1+x^2)^\frac{1}{2}##, binomial expansion can be used ##(1+x^2)^\frac{1}{2}=1+\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{(1/2)(-1/2)}{2!}x^4+⋯+\frac{(1/2)(-1/2)...(-(2k-3))/2)}{k!})x^{2k}+⋯##.

1. What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function using a polynomial. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor and is also known as a Taylor series or Maclaurin series.

2. How is a Taylor expansion calculated?

A Taylor expansion is calculated using the derivatives of a function at a specific point. The general formula for a Taylor series is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ... , where a is the point at which the function is being approximated.

3. What is the purpose of a Taylor expansion?

The purpose of a Taylor expansion is to approximate a function in cases where it is difficult or impossible to find an exact solution. It can also be used to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor expansion and a Maclaurin expansion?

A Taylor expansion is centered around a specific point, while a Maclaurin expansion is centered around x=0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the point a is equal to 0.

5. Can a Taylor expansion be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, a Taylor expansion is an approximation and will only give an exact value if the function being approximated is a polynomial. In most cases, it will only provide an estimate of the value of the function at a specific point.