Finding Slope of a Tangent Line to a Parabola

In summary, the given problem involves finding the equation of a line that is tangent to a parabola with a given point and solving it simultaneously with the equation of the parabola. By using the point-slope form and carefully comparing the equations, we can find the values of b and c and ultimately the slope of the tangent line. Alternatively, we can use differentiation to find the slope of the tangent line and solve the problem.
Cascadian

Homework Statement

I've got the equation of a parabola [itex]y=2x^2-4x+1[/itex] with point (-1,7) and a tangent line running through it the point. I'm supposed to find the equation of the line. Simultaneously solve this equation with that of the parabola, place the results in form [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex], and find the slope of the tangent line.

Homework Equations

[itex]y=2x^2-4x+1[/itex]
[itex]y=m(x--1)+7[/itex]
[itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was supposed to find the equation of the line using the point slope equation and I did, I placed it above. The problem lies when I try to set the equations equal to each other [itex]m(x+1)+7=2x^2-4x+1[/itex]and place the results in [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex] form. I guessed that [itex]a=2[/itex] and it was correct. However b is not [itex]-4x-mx[/itex] and c is not [itex]m-6[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are on the right track, but have some trouble with your bookkeeping.

If you have m(x + 1) = mx + m = 2x² - 4x + 1, start by bringing everything to one side of the equals sign: 2x² - 4x - mx + 1 - m = 0.
Now carefully compare this to the given form, ax² + bx + c. Try rewriting the equation to get this: 2x² + (...)x + (...) = 0.
You will be able to read off b and c, but this time with the correct signs :)

(Also, don't forget, as I initially did, that it stays an equation -- after the rewrite there will be "= 0" on the right hand side).

I wish using a little differentiation were justified here. for the y=parabola,
d/dx of 2x^2-4x+1 is 4x-4.

Value of derivative when x=-1 becomes -8, so slope is -8 for the line.

Now we have both the (given) point, and the slope of the line.

I just do not see the less advanced algebra trick to solve the question.

symbolipoint said:
I wish using a little differentiation were justified here. for the y=parabola,
d/dx of 2x^2-4x+1 is 4x-4.

Value of derivative when x=-1 becomes -8, so slope is -8 for the line.

Now we have both the (given) point, and the slope of the line.

I just do not see the less advanced algebra trick to solve the question.

Since the line [itex]y=m(x+1)+7[/itex] passes through the point (-1,7) which we know is on the parabola, if we choose any real gradient other than the tangential gradient, it'll cut the parabola twice, while the tangent will cut the parabola once.

1. What is the slope of a tangent line to a parabola at a specific point?

The slope of a tangent line to a parabola at a specific point is equal to the derivative of the parabola at that point. This can be calculated using the formula: slope = 2ax + b, where a and b are the coefficients of the parabola's equation y = ax^2 + bx + c.

2. How do you find the slope of a tangent line to a parabola?

To find the slope of a tangent line to a parabola, you need to first identify the point on the parabola where you want to find the slope. Then, use the formula slope = 2ax + b, where a and b are the coefficients of the parabola's equation y = ax^2 + bx + c. Plug in the x-coordinate of the point into the formula to get the slope.

3. Can the slope of a tangent line to a parabola be negative?

Yes, the slope of a tangent line to a parabola can be negative. This means that the parabola is decreasing at that specific point. The slope of a tangent line can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the position of the point on the parabola.

4. How does the slope of a tangent line change as you move along a parabola?

The slope of a tangent line changes as you move along a parabola because the parabola is a curved shape. As you move from left to right, the slope of the tangent line gradually changes from positive to negative or vice versa. This change in slope is due to the changing direction of the parabola at different points.

5. What is the significance of finding the slope of a tangent line to a parabola?

Finding the slope of a tangent line to a parabola is important in understanding the behavior of the parabola at a specific point. The slope represents the instantaneous rate of change of the parabola at that point, which can be used to determine the direction of the parabola's movement and the steepness of its curve. It is also essential in solving real-world problems that involve parabolas, such as calculating the velocity of an object at a certain time.