Find the center of a circle given a tangent line & point

In summary, the conversation is about finding the center and radius of a circle that passes through A(1,1) and is tangent to the line y=2x-3 at the point B(3,3). The user attempted to use an equation from a website but got an incorrect answer. They also discussed the importance of including the point A(1,1) in the equation to accurately find the center of the circle.
NormanJaden12

Homework Statement

"Find the center and radius of the circle that passes through A(1,1) and is tangent to the line y=2x-3 at the point B(3,3). (Picture of the graph: https://imgur.com/a/0wAnqcU)

Homework Equations

Here's a link: https://imgur.com/a/y71Z9GY

The Attempt at a Solution

Soo, I've been tryiing to use the equation shown in the link above, but i get an answer that i don't quite get. In the website where i found this (https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...ntre-of-circle-with-equation-of-tangent-given) it told me to use the coordinates where the tangent touches the circle.

I used the points (3,3) and substitute it with the x0 and the y0, and substitute the m and c with 2 and 3 respectively. When i simplify the equation, i get 15/3 for both x and y points, which will result to another (3,3). I might've missed something but the resulted coordinates isn't the center of the given circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
your c is -3

And I don't think that's the formula you need: That formula only consists of the point where the circle touches the tangent and the linear equation. What about A(1,1)? Although I can't fully understand the formula, but just knowing the tangent point and equation won't be enough to make a circle(you can actually but you will make a infinite amount of them since A(1,1) doesn't matters), you need to find a formula that somehow takes the A(1,1) into a count.

Last edited:
You can get equations for 2 diameters out of the given information. Then solve simultaneously for the centre.

Likes YoungPhysicist

1. How do you find the center of a circle given a tangent line and a point?

To find the center of a circle, you will need to first draw a line perpendicular to the tangent line at the given point. Next, you will need to find the midpoint of this perpendicular line, which will be the center of the circle.

2. What information do you need to find the center of a circle?

You will need the tangent line and one point that lies on the circle in order to find the center.

3. Can you find the center of a circle using only a tangent line?

No, you will need at least one point on the circle in order to find the center.

4. What is the formula for finding the center of a circle given a tangent line and a point?

The formula for finding the center of a circle is to draw a line perpendicular to the tangent line at the given point, and then find the midpoint of this perpendicular line. This midpoint will be the center of the circle.

5. Can you use any point on the tangent line to find the center of a circle?

No, you will need a point that lies on the circle in order to find the center. A point on the tangent line alone will not be enough information to find the center.