Identifying the equation of a parabola

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary: The first case is when ##p## is a positive integer and the second case is when ##p## is a negative integer.In the first case, if ##p## is a positive integer, then you have$$A x^2 +Bx + Cy + Dxy + E = p^2$$And the common factor of all these terms is 1. So, the value of ##z## is just the sum of these terms, which is$$z = p^2$$In the second case, if ##p## is a negative integer, then you have$$Ay^2 + By + Cx +Dxy + E = -p^2$$And the common
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the value of z for which (10x-5)^2 + (10y-7)^2 = z^2((5x+12y+7)^2 is a parabola

Homework Equations

eccentricity of parabola=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this by expanding everything and writing h^2-ab=0 but this equation looks suspiciously similar to distance from a point=e^2(distance from a line) which should be one for a parabola. Dividing by 10^2 on both sides to remove coefficients of x and y seems reasonable. But I'm not sure how exactly to proceed to identify z easily. I'd appreciate some help, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on a good track. So when you divide by ##10^2##, on the left you have the expression for ##D^2## where D is the distance from general point (x, y) to some particular point which might be the focus of the parabola.

On the right then you want that expression to be the distance of the same general (x, y) from some line ax + by + c = 0. So you're going to need an expression for the distance of a general point from a general line. Then compare it to your right-hand side. There are a couple of ways to calculate that, from calculus or geometry. Either way it's going to be a lot of algebra. But I'd start there.

There's a general expression for the distance of a point from a line here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_from_a_point_to_a_line
That does indeed look like something whose square you could manipulate into looking like your right-hand side, giving you the equation of the directrix and the value of z.

But if this is a homework problem and you don't have that formula in your textbook, you're probably expected to derive it.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Find the value of z for which (10x-5)^2 + (10y-7)^2 = z^2((5x+12y+7)^2 is a parabola

Homework Equations

eccentricity of parabola=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this by expanding everything and writing h^2-ab=0 but this equation looks suspiciously similar to distance from a point=e^2(distance from a line) which should be one for a parabola. Dividing by 10^2 on both sides to remove coefficients of x and y seems reasonable. But I'm not sure how exactly to proceed to identify z easily. I'd appreciate some help, thank you

If we write ##p## instead of ##z^2##, your equation becomes
$$(10 x -5)^2 +(10 y -7)^2 - p (5x + 12 y + 7)^2 = 0 \hspace{4ex}(1)$$
If you expand out the left-hand-side of (1), you need to determine what values of ##p## give an expression either of the form ##A x^2 +Bx + Cy + Dxy + E## (no ##y^2## term) or ##Ay^2 + By + Cx +Dxy + E## (no ##x^2## term).

Last edited:
Likes SammyS

1. How do you identify the equation of a parabola given its graph?

The equation of a parabola can be written in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. To identify these constants, you can use the coordinates of three points on the parabola. Plug in the x and y values of each point into the equation and solve for a, b, and c. Alternatively, you can use the vertex form of the equation, y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola.

2. How does the value of "a" affect the shape of a parabola?

The value of "a" determines the direction and steepness of the parabola. If "a" is positive, the parabola opens upwards and is wider. If "a" is negative, the parabola opens downwards and is narrower. The greater the absolute value of "a", the steeper the parabola will be.

3. Can you identify the equation of a parabola with only one point and the vertex?

Yes, you can use the vertex form of the equation, y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola. Plug in the coordinates of the given point for x and y, and then solve for a. This will give you the equation of the parabola.

4. How do you determine if a parabola opens upwards or downwards?

The sign of "a" in the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c determines the direction of the parabola. If "a" is positive, the parabola opens upwards. If "a" is negative, the parabola opens downwards.

5. Can you identify the equation of a parabola given only its axis of symmetry?

Yes, the axis of symmetry of a parabola can be written in the form x = h, where h is the x-coordinate of the vertex. You can then use the vertex form of the equation, y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola, to determine the value of "a".