Taylor expansion technique

by Vola
Tags: expansion, taylor, technique
Share this thread:
Vola
Jan16-13, 01:30 PM
P: 14
Hi everyone,
Is there a certain technique or a program for converting Taylor expansion to summation notation form and vice versa.
Thank you in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Stephen Tashi
Jan16-13, 02:38 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,252
Quote Quote by Vola View Post
Is there a certain technique or a program for converting Taylor expansion to summation notation form and vice versa.
Your question isn't completely clear. Can you give a specific example where converting from one notation to the other is difficult?
Vola
Jan16-13, 03:01 PM
let's say I expend a certain function using Taylor series. Is there a specific method I can apply to represent that string of terms in sigma notation.

Whovian
Jan16-13, 03:19 PM
P: 642
Taylor expansion technique

Unless you can find an expression for the nth derivative of the function at a certain point in terms of n, there's no point in trying.
Stephen Tashi
Jan16-13, 03:29 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,252
let's say I expend a certain function using Taylor series. Is there a specific method I can apply to represent that string of terms in sigma notation.
Well, that's more specific question, but not a specific example.

I think your question amounts to asking whether there is a concise way to represent the n-th derivative of a particular function ( like f(x) = (x sin x)/(x+3) ) as an expression with a finite number of symbols in it that only involves specific functions and the variables 'x' and 'n'.

I don't know of any technique that works for all functions. The higher derivatives of some functions involve more and more terms. You might have to write sums-of-sums or sums-of-sums-of-sums to represent them.

You could approach the problem as a task in computer algebra. It would involve algorithms that manipulate strings. This makes it a very specialized question. I don't know whether any programmers doing computer algebra hang-out in the computer sections of the forum. I don't recall seeing any computer algebra algorithms discussed in these mathematics sections.
Vola
Jan16-13, 03:35 PM
Let's say i need to rewrite 2+7(x-2)+4(x-2)^2+(x-2)^3+O((x-2^4) in sigma notation.Is there any systematic way to do that?
Mark44
Jan16-13, 03:40 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
Let's say i need to rewrite 2+7(x-2)+4(x-2)^2+(x-2)^3+O((x-2^4) in sigma notation.Is there any systematic way to do that?
To write a series in summation notation, you have to have a general pattern for the n-th term of the series. I don't see any particular pattern in what you showed.
Vola
Jan16-13, 03:51 PM
Maybe different example: 1 + x + (5/4)x^2 + (7/4)x^3 +...+O(x^4). I am looking for general approach for rewriting expansions like this in sigma notation.
Whovian
Jan16-13, 03:59 PM
P: 642
There are infinitely many functions f such that f(0)=1*0!, f(1)=1*1!, f(2)=5/4*2!, f(3)=7/4*3!. Without knowing every term, it's impossible to find a summation that continues to be consistent with the taylor expansion of the function forever, in this case, we need the O(x^4)'s expansion.

(Or you can just use your induction skills to find [itex]f^{\left(n\right)}\left(k\right)[/itex] in terms of n and k to find the expansion around k.)

Register to reply