Classifying Series Summation $$ \sum_{i=0}^{n} 2^{2^i} ~ ?$$

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of a series summation and the possibility of it being geometric or having a Taylor expansion. The idea of an infinite product of a summation is also mentioned, as well as a relevant link and a connection to a math problem of the week. The conversation also explores the use of logarithms and upper bounding in this context.
Gear300
I am asking on the spur, so there has not been too much thought put into it, but how would we classify a series summation such as $$ \sum_{i=0}^{n} 2^{2^i} ~ ?$$ It does not feel to be geometric, nor that it can be made to be geometric. In general, the function xx does not look like it bears a Taylor expansion, so I don't think it even has an algebraic approximation (in which case, I doubt it could be the root of a power series either).

I was considering the case |q| < 1, where if we took an infinite product of a summation $$ \sum_{i=0}^{n} q^{2^i} ~ ?$$ in some particular way, we might have a convergent power series (or vice versa). Is there already literature on this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Likes StoneTemplePython
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question seems to, curiously, be related to the problem of the week.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/intermediate-math-problem-of-the-week-12-11-2017.934137/

specifically, if you take the log of the infinite product to convert to infinite series, recognize you're in radius of convergence for natural log, expand the series (giving you ##\sum\sum##), and upper bound ##\frac{1}{
2^{2^n}+2^{-2^n}} \leq
\frac{1}{
2^{2^n}}## and then interchange the summations...

1. What is a series summation?

A series summation is a mathematical process that involves adding together a sequence of numbers in a specific order. It is written in the form of Σ (sigma) notation, where the first term, last term, and the general term are defined.

2. What does the notation Σ (sigma) represent?

The notation Σ (sigma) represents the sum of a series, where the elements of the series are added together. It is also known as a summation symbol or summation operator.

3. How do you calculate a series summation?

To calculate a series summation, you need to follow these steps:

- Identify the first term, last term, and the general term of the series.

- Plug in the values of the first term and last term into the formula for finding the number of terms in a series.

- Substitute the values into the formula for finding the sum of a finite geometric series.

- Simplify the equation to get the final result.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite series summation?

A finite series summation has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series summation has an infinite number of terms. In other words, a finite series has a specific endpoint, while an infinite series does not.

5. How can you classify a series summation?

A series summation can be classified in different ways, such as arithmetic or geometric, finite or infinite, convergent or divergent, etc. In the case of the series summation $$ \sum_{i=0}^{n} 2^{2^i}, $$ it is classified as a finite geometric series with a common ratio of 2 and a sum of n+1 terms.