Register to reply

Inverse laplace in matlab gives iota

by indianaronald
Tags: control, laplace, spring mass
Share this thread:
indianaronald
Jan16-13, 01:54 AM
P: 21
I'm applying laplace transform to a spring-mass system, the most basic one. I write this code which takes initial values x(0) and v(0) as input and I'm computing x(t) in matlab. But for some values it gives me complex roots for x(t) which doesn't seem possible. If not for laplace I can solve the same question traditional differential equation solving way and get real roots. So what's happening here?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
LCKurtz
Jan17-13, 10:14 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,563
Remember that a damped harmonic system may give you complex conjugate roots ##a\pm bi## with a solution pair ##\{e^{(a+bi)t},e^{(a-bi)t}\}##. But this is equivalent to the solution pair ##\{e^{at}\cos(bt),e^{at}\sin(bt)\}##. Complex roots don't necessarily cause complex solutions. In fact, if the coefficients and initial conditions are all real, you will not have complex solutions.
indianaronald
Jan17-13, 11:09 PM
P: 21
What is the meaning of solution pair? Yes, it gives me aħbi. How do I interpret it? And I don't even have damping in my system.

LCKurtz
Jan18-13, 11:04 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,563
Inverse laplace in matlab gives iota

Quote Quote by LCKurtz View Post
Remember that a damped harmonic system may give you complex conjugate roots ##a\pm bi## with a solution pair ##\{e^{(a+bi)t},e^{(a-bi)t}\}##. But this is equivalent to the solution pair ##\{e^{at}\cos(bt),e^{at}\sin(bt)\}##. Complex roots don't necessarily cause complex solutions. In fact, if the coefficients and initial conditions are all real, you will not have complex solutions.
Quote Quote by indianaronald View Post
What is the meaning of solution pair? Yes, it gives me aħbi. How do I interpret it? And I don't even have damping in my system.
By a "solution pair" I mean the general solution is$$
y = Ae^{at}\cos(bt)+e^{at}\sin(bt)$$Without actually seeing what your system is and what your work looks like, I can't be more specific about your problem.

Register to reply