Replacing the "quad" function with "integral" doesn't work in Matlab

In summary, The conversation discusses using the "quad" and "integral" functions to numerically integrate an inverse Fourier transform integral. The warning of maximum function count exceeded is addressed and the code is corrected using array operators. The use of "ArrayValued' true" in the integral function is also explained. Helpful links are provided for more information.
PainterGuy
TL;DR Summary
Why using numerical integration "integral" function is not working for me?
Hi,

I was trying to numerically integrate the following inverse Fourier transform integral,
1565230874256-png.png
, using the code below. The plot is also shown below.

The plot looks good which means the result is good as well. By the way, I was getting a warning which I quote below the code.

Matlab:
% file name "fourier_transform_unit_pulse_numerical_integration.m"
% using quad function

clear all; close all; clc;

x=linspace(-8*pi,8*pi,300);
Rs_x=0.*[1:300];for i1=1:300

x1=x(i1);

f=@(w)(1/pi)*(((2*sin(pi*w)/w)*cos(x1*w)));

Rs_x(i1)=quad(f,0,60);

end

plot(x,Rs_x);
hold;

Code:
Warning: Maximum function count exceeded; singularity likely.
> In quad (line 98)
  In fourier_transform_unit_pulse_numerical_integration (line 18)

Plot #1
1565399554834.png
In the code below, I'm using "quad" function to do the numerical integration and I understand that it's a deprecated function and "integral" function should be used instead. I replaced "quad" with "integral" in the code. The "integral" function doesn't work for me as the plot below shows. Where am I going wrong? Could you please help me?

Matlab:
Rs_x(i1)=quad(f,0,60);
changed to
Matlab:
Rs_x(i1)=integral(f,0,60);

Plot #2
1565399921232.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

I think that I understand it now. The following code works. Please note that in this corrected code I'm using the operators .^, .*, ./, and .\ which are called array operators and are used when multiplying or dividing vectors or matrices of the same size term by term. It means that the function "integral" accepts vector or array values by default. When the array operators are used, it signals that element by element operations are to be carried out; in other words, all the variables should be treated as scalars or as a single element of an array.

In MATLAB functions such as sin and sign can have either scalars or arrays (vectors or matrices) passed to them. There are a number of functions that are written specifically to operate on vectors or on columns of matrices; these include the functions min, max, sum, prod, cumsum, and cumprod.

It's mostly safe to use array operators because this increases the chances that the expression would work with most functions.

Matlab:
% file name "fourier_transform_unit_pulse_numerical_integration.m"
% using integral function

clear all; close all; clc;

x=linspace(-8*pi,8*pi,300);
Rs_x=0.*[1:300];for i1=1:300

x1=x(i1);

f=@(w)(1/pi).*(((2.*sin(pi.*w)./w).*cos(x1.*w)));

Rs_x(i1)=integral(f,0,60);

end

plot(x,Rs_x);
hold;

1565474462069.png

We could have used instead the following lines without using array operators and the code would work fine. In MATLAB command window type: help integral.

Matlab:
f=@(w)(1/pi)*(((2*sin(pi*w)/w)*cos(x1*w)));
Rs_x(i1)=integral(f,0,60, 'ArrayValued', true);

Using "ArrayValued', true" signals that all the variables are arrays and term by terms operations are to be carried out.

Thank you!

Helpful link(s):
1: https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/integral.html#btw3ipp-6

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mfb

1. Why doesn't replacing the "quad" function with "integral" work in Matlab?

Replacing the "quad" function with "integral" may not work in Matlab because they are two different functions with different syntax and functionality. The "quad" function is used for numerical integration while the "integral" function is used for symbolic integration.

2. Can the "quad" function be replaced with "integral" in all cases?

No, the "quad" function cannot be replaced with "integral" in all cases. As mentioned before, they have different purposes and syntax. Additionally, the "integral" function may not be able to handle certain types of integrals that the "quad" function can.

3. What is the difference between the "quad" and "integral" functions?

The "quad" function is used for numerical integration, meaning it approximates the definite integral of a function using numerical methods. On the other hand, the "integral" function is used for symbolic integration, meaning it calculates the exact analytical solution to a definite integral.

4. Are there any alternatives to using the "quad" function in Matlab?

Yes, there are alternative functions that can be used for numerical integration in Matlab. Some examples include the "trapz" function, which uses the trapezoidal rule, and the "quadgk" function, which uses adaptive Gauss-Kronrod quadrature.

5. Can the "quad" function and "integral" function be used together in Matlab?

Yes, the "quad" function and "integral" function can be used together in Matlab. They serve different purposes and can be used in different scenarios depending on the type of integration required.