Register to reply

Best e-mail program

by biferi
Tags: email, program
Share this thread:
biferi
Jan16-13, 06:32 PM
P: 193
I have win and use. Thunderbird. For my e mail program.

I like to use an e mail program and not the. Web site to get my e mail.

Is there anything batter then. Thunderbird???

Thunderbird does not let you print the e mail book like. Outlook express.

This is what I need it to do so is there a batter e mail program?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Simon Bridge
Jan16-13, 08:05 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,110
I have win and use. Thunderbird. For my e mail program.
English is not your first language huh? Here, let me help -
You have Windows and use Thunderbird for your e-mail program? (English does not use a period either side of proper nouns - it took a bit to figure out what you were doing ;) )
Is there anything better than Thunderbird???
Depends on your requirements. Define "better"?
Thunderbird does not let you print the e-mail book like Outlook Express.
What do you mean by "e-mail book"? Do you mean the contacts list?

You can print out your contacts list from Thunderbird, but if you want to adjust the format, you need to export it to a word-processor like Libre Office. The ability to use any program with any other is something of a feature of Free Software - but it can be a bit confusing for people who are used to more restricted software :)

Thunderbird tends to be somewhat feature-light.
A more integrated e-mail (and PIM) client is Evolution - part of the Gnome project and sponsored (mostly) by Novell.

Comparison of email clients:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-mail_clients
biferi
Jan16-13, 10:22 PM
I did try to print out all of my E Mail Addresses from Thunderbird and it does do it. But it would print one E Mail Address at a time on just one page.

I wanted to be able to print all of my E Mail Addresses on say one page or as many pages as needed.

I did this with Outlook Exspress but I do not think Thunderbird can do this.

Do they have Outlook Exspress for win7?

Simon Bridge
Jan16-13, 10:50 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Best e-mail program

Ask in the mozilla forums.
All the comments I've found there show that people are routinely printing many entries on each page. In the link I gave you, the questioner needed to change the size of the entries so he could fit all of them on a few sheets of paper.

Another example:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
... questioner wants to get more than his usual 4-6 records per page from Thunderbird address-book.

So - it is something you are doing.
How are you trying to solve the problem?

Compare what you are doing with:
https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_...a_mailing_list
... you seem to have the same problem as the poster in that question.
... see Roland Tangelo at the bottom.

I cannot recommend Outlook Express.
Have you looked at Evolution as a more feature-full solution?

It is possible that these programs have better performance under linux - their native environment - than windows ... I wouldn't know.
biferi
Jan17-13, 08:10 AM
Why can you not recomand outlook express?

Do they not make it for win???
Simon Bridge
Jan18-13, 03:11 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Outlook Express is proprietary software.
To use it you have to agree to draconian conditions... you are already using Windows so you may already be sunk there.

Anyway - it got replaced by Windows Mail ... should be bundled with Win 7.
Also proprietary software - you shouldn't be short on choice for mail clients.
harborsparrow
Feb7-13, 07:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 359
I do not recommend switching to Outlook Express (or Outlook proper) from Thunderbird. Thunderbird is open source (and free) and generally less likely to be a target for viruses. Also, it is easy to move your email archives from one PC to another. Not so easy with Outlook Express or Outlook.
phinds
Feb7-13, 07:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,510
Quote Quote by harborsparrow View Post
Also, it is easy to move your email archives from one PC to another. Not so easy with Outlook Express or Outlook.
I don't understand that statement at all. I regularly move Outlook email files from one computer to another.
Simon Bridge
Feb7-13, 08:09 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by harborsparrow View Post
I do not recommend switching to Outlook Express (or Outlook proper) from Thunderbird. Thunderbird is open source (and free) and generally less likely to be a target for viruses.
... and you can rely on someone telling you if it has been while proprietary developers are reluctant to do this.

Quote Quote by phinds View Post
Also, it is easy to move your email archives from one PC to another. Not so easy with Outlook Express or Outlook.
I don't understand that statement at all. I regularly move Outlook email files from one computer to another.
... it is fairly routine these days to move MS mail files between computers ... one only hopes it stays that way. The formats are proprietary but mostly published iirc. You have the fewest problems if you stay within the MS ecosystem - specifically outlook - just like Apple stuff is nice to use as long as you only use Apple stuff.

For people used to software freedom, the methods feel convoluted - but not impossibly so.
For people used to not having the freedom, it is difficult to explain the advantages. Sides, open formats are not automatically portable either - it's just that nobody can decide to cut you off later: in principle, you can always access your data. When choosing between freedom and not-freedom - best practice is always to pick the freedom.

To be fair, proprietary formats are a LOT more open than they used to be. Remember when a word file was not guaranteed to be portable even between the same version of Word?

So lets not turn this into a proprietary vs freedom/open fight.

Everything has it's wee foibles - you end up picking which ones you can live with.

Register to reply