Space Elevators --> US Transportation Infrastructure

by blu3boy
Tags: debate, elevator, space
Ryan_m_b
Jan18-13, 05:28 PM
Mentor
P: 5,350
Quote Quote by JustinRyan View Post
You could also argue the reduction of the countrys reliance on oil for fuel (as rechargable electric cars can be charged from renewable sources) and the reduction in the cost of lives due to traffic accidents cannot be valued in dollars.... Sustainability is paramount :)
Not to mention that electric cars are more efficient than their oil using counterparts.

Regarding putting a value on saved lives I agree its incalculable in human terms but if you have to reduce it to economics there probably is a great deal of statistics out there for how much non-fatal car accidents cost in terms of time off work and medical expenses. Not to mention that in the States 3000 people die every month in road traffic accidents. That's a 9/11 worth of people every 30 days. I don't necessarily condone putting it in such comparative terms but it could be useful for debate.
blu3boy
Jan18-13, 07:24 PM
P: 15
Yea, I actually implemented the argument of a smart road that charges electric cars while they drive; (Found a Stanford study on it so its reliable) this means there is a much greater incentive to buy electric cars. On top of that, said roads would be SOLAR POWERED! I just thought it was amazing
256bits
Jan19-13, 05:28 PM
P: 1,271
Quote Quote by blu3boy View Post
Update following some research - I think the intelligent highway argument is near perfect. Over the course of 8 years, spending 157 billion will save 3.1 trillion in GDP, 1 trillion in trade, and 3.5 million jobs.
That is 157 billion per year for 8 years.

Are you sure your GDP,trade and job 'quote' supports your argument for investment in an intelligent highway.
The study also mentions
The study projected the biggest funding gap, $877 billion, for highway and other surface transportation projects needed by 2020. But it also saw funding shortfalls of $629 billion for new electricity generation and transmission, $95 billion for airports, $42 billion for water and sewage and $14 billion for inland waterway and marine ports.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90E0RA20130115
Would any business venture dependant upon an infrastructure presently shortchanged on investment be satisfied with allocation of new funds or the transfer of existing funds to an technology unproven to aid in the transfer of goods and services.
Best you hope your opponents have not read the report.
blu3boy
Jan19-13, 07:17 PM
Doubtful, and looking up articles in middle of the debate is against the rules. On top of that - most articles that are given to us as the default arguments cut out the negative parts.

Example - One article talks about how port security is required, but the part that says that we don't have the resources to implement the plan is cut out.
256bits
Jan20-13, 07:33 AM
P: 1,271
So I did not rattle you with a negative to your argument.
You must be quite at ease in a debate session, as presentation counts.
Appear flustered and your argumentative points loose value.
Good luck.
blu3boy
Jan21-13, 05:05 AM
Quote Quote by 256bits View Post
So I did not rattle you with a negative to your argument.
You must be quite at ease in a debate session, as presentation counts.
Appear flustered and your argumentative points loose value.
Good luck.
Both sadly and augustly, debate is probably my strongest skill. Sadly because while I am passionate about it, I am more passionate about physics (something I find my skills are quite lackluster at compared to debate)

I know it's the effort, but after physics class last year, no matter how much I tell myself I will, I can't justify learning physics on my own time to myself because it feels like a waste. Just a little rant. Thanks for wishing me lck, haha.

Register to reply