Vertical lift question (Lift a roof from beneath with limited space)

In summary: The supports are meant to hold the weight of the roof for a certain amount of time, so it's not really a problem that they can't hold more weight. The support poles are meant to fold away when the roof is lowered so that it's not really a problem that they can't hold more weight.
Kelly1214
I'm trying to figure out alternative ways to lift the roof on a pop-up camper that I'm refurbishing. There is limited space, and it needs to be lifted from beneath. I'm trying to avoid completely gutting it if possible which is what I'd have to do with a standard cable system. Any ideas?

It currently has an 'arm' on the outside of each corner that folds when the roof is lowered and extends to lock in place when the roof is raised. there is an extended spring inside the bottom arm that assists you in raising the roof as it pulls on the upper arm while you lift (see image).

My problem with the current setup is basically that I think it's hideous and I want to make it more streamlined and inconspicuous. It's also broken right now, so it needs to be replaced anyway. My ideas so far are variations of 2 things:

1. Using ACME threaded rods and
2. Using a different version of the current spring system, but one that is vertical and collapses inside of itself when lowered.

The main problems I've run into with the ACME stuff is that it seems like it will be really slow, and I don't know where I could put the motor without taking up space inside or underneath (and I don't want it to get all bashed up from driving), because it seems like I would need a pretty big motor in order to have enough power to turn all four rods to lift the roof. If I were to use a hand crank rather than a motor, it seems like it would either be really hard to crank, or it would take a really long time. Also, this seems like it would be a pretty expensive solution. However, if I can find a solution that works with this idea, I like this idea the most.

With the spring idea, it just seems like the spring size and strength that I would need are really hard to find.

I'm sorry I don't have other details (measurements, materials, etc.), I'm at the very beginning of the process and just trying to think of anything that might work at all. I'm also not familiar with any type of mechanical engineering on a level past "common knowledge" so I realize that I could be missing something that is very obvious to the people reading this (hence this post asking for help). So if you have any suggestions or new ideas, that would be very appreciated!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Kelly1214 said:
My problem with the current setup is basically that I think it's hideous and I want to make it more streamlined and inconspicuous.
That's OK as long as you realize that you're going against the KISS principle.

You omit a key requirement. Are you raising it single handed? Can there be one or more other people to help you?

If there was a helper, I would give the helper a pole to help push up the weight. The helper would do what a spring does, but do it better.

Likes Kelly1214
anorlunda said:
That's OK as long as you realize that you're going against the KISS principle.

You omit a key requirement. Are you raising it single handed? Can there be one or more other people to help you?

If there was a helper, I would give the helper a pole to help push up the weight. The helper would do what a spring does, but do it better.
Ahh yes, the KISS principle haha. You make a good point in this alone!

I would like for it to be very possible to be raised by a single person. Thank you for asking that, because as you mentioned, I completely forgot to include that information.

Why are the two shown poles folding over different directions?
What are the top and bottom ends anchored to and how?
Sorry, I can’t see the details of the picture very clearly.

Likes Kelly1214
Lnewqban said:
Why are the two shown poles folding over different directions?
What are the top and bottom ends anchored to and how?
Sorry, I can’t see the details of the picture very clearly.
The poles are anchored to the roof and the bottom of the body of the camper. They are folded in the middle towards the front of the camper, and as you bring those ends of the poles in line with the anchor points, it pushes the roof up and the poles are locked in place using pins.

Likes Lnewqban
If I'm understanding it correctly: the support poles fold away when the roof is lowered...

This would make your screw idea a bit trickier, since there isn't vertical space for the screw (which can't be folded) to hide away when the roof is lowered...

You have an idea of how heavy the roof is? and how long those supports are?

Likes Kelly1214
onatirec said:
If I'm understanding it correctly: the support poles fold away when the roof is lowered...

This would make your screw idea a bit trickier, since there isn't vertical space for the screw (which can't be folded) to hide away when the roof is lowered...

You have an idea of how heavy the roof is? and how long those supports are?
Yeah, that's correct, but I'll be completely replacing the entire current system. So it won't need to fold or anything.

The weight is probably close to 100lbs (I'm guessing, I don't really have a way to weigh it), and the supports are just over 6 feet.

OK, even with one person, I would use a pole to lift the top. Something like a broom stick or even a whole broom. Then with one hand holding the broomstick, I would raise the existing post with the other hand.

Works better with two people, but it could be managed in one.

More important, with practice you could certainly learn to do it well. Fooling around with springs and stuff, probably has a 3 of 4 chance of failing.

search online for
popup trailer mechanism
or
popup trailer lift

select "images" and there are a lot of hits, maybe some good ideas there.

Likes Kelly1214
gmax137 said:
search online for
popup trailer mechanism
or
popup trailer lift

select "images" and there are a lot of hits, maybe some good ideas there.
Thanks for the good idea, I'll definitely check it out!

1. How can a roof be lifted from beneath with limited space?

There are several methods for lifting a roof from beneath with limited space, including using hydraulic jacks, screw jacks, or a crane. The best method will depend on the specific space constraints and the weight of the roof.

2. Is it safe to lift a roof from beneath?

Yes, it is possible to safely lift a roof from beneath, but it requires careful planning and execution. It is important to ensure that the lifting equipment is properly rated for the weight of the roof and that the surrounding structure is strong enough to support the weight.

3. What are the potential risks associated with lifting a roof from beneath?

The main risks associated with lifting a roof from beneath include structural damage to the building, injury to workers, and damage to the lifting equipment. It is important to carefully assess and mitigate these risks before attempting to lift the roof.

4. How can I determine the weight of the roof before attempting to lift it?

The weight of the roof can be determined by consulting the building plans or by hiring a structural engineer to perform a weight calculation. It is important to have an accurate weight estimation in order to select the appropriate lifting equipment and ensure the safety of the lifting process.

5. Are there any alternatives to lifting a roof from beneath with limited space?

In some cases, it may be possible to remove the roof in sections and replace it with a lighter material, such as metal or composite panels. This can be a more cost-effective and less risky option than attempting to lift the entire roof from beneath.