New Textbook Forums!

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: forums, textbook
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Jan20-13, 11:36 AM
Admin
P: 9,145
PF is pleased to announce the opening of four new textbook forums (Physics/Astonomy, Mathematics, Engineering, Other Sciences). Micromass was developing an excellent Bibliography in the Science Book Discussion forum and we wanted to expand it even further! Each textbook category will host threads for individual textbooks. These threads should be used to house members comments, tips, reviews and discussion about that specific textbook. We think this will be a great resource!

Note, to keep the content organized, members are not allow to create new threads, only reply to existing textbook threads. btw, because the threads are organized by topic prefix, it can be very handy to filter by prefix. This ability can be found at the bottom left of the forum listing page.

Obviously we have just the tip of the iceberg of textbooks listed, it will take time and we need your help. There is a sticky atop each of the forums for you to request a listing. We need members to tell us what books you are using in class so we can create the listing.

Here are the forums, enjoy!

Physics & Astronomy Textbooks
http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224

Mathematics Textbooks
http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225

Engineering Textbooks
http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226

Other Science Textbooks
http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
n10Newton
Jan20-13, 12:19 PM
P: 108
Thats nice. How about a poll on top as options
1.I have used this book and this is the best.
2.I read this but this is not good.
3.This is the worst book I ever used.
4.This is good but I have a good alternative to that Book.
Greg Bernhardt
Jan20-13, 12:29 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by n10Newton View Post
Thats nice. How about a poll on top as options
1.I have used this book and this is the best.
2.I read this but this is not good.
3.This is the worst book I ever used.
4.This is good but I have a good alternative to that Book.
Very good suggestion! We will consider it!

AlephZero
Jan20-13, 12:49 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,922
New Textbook Forums!

In the Engineering list you have two threads for Hibbeler, Eng. Mech - Dynamics.

The Amazon links are for different editions (12th and 13th) but there is nothing in the PF threads to show the difference.

I don't know if that specific example happened by accident or design (and I haven't searched for any more examples), but since popular textbooks often go through several editions with little change I think you need a strategic decision on how to handle it.

Personally I would go for one thread for all editions, unless a "new edition" is really a different book published under the old name.

In any case, it would be valuable to include the edition number somewhere prominent (e.g. the thread title), otherwise "editorial entropy" will increase with time!
Greg Bernhardt
Jan20-13, 12:53 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
In the Engineering list you have two threads for Hibbeler, Eng. Mech - Dynamics.

The Amazon links are for different editions (12th and 13th) but there is nothing in the PF threads to show the difference.

I don't know if that specific example happened by accident or design (and I haven't searched for any more examples), but since popular textbooks often go through several editions with little change I think you need a strategic decision on how to handle it.

Personally I would go for one thread for all editions, unless a "new edition" is really a different book published under the old name.

In any case, it would be valuable to include the edition number somewhere prominent (e.g. the thread title), otherwise "editorial entropy" will increase with time!
Thanks for the catch! We do indeed want one thread for all editions. We will include the edition in near future. Thanks for all the feedback! We'll get it running like a well oiled machine soon enough! :)
AlephZero
Jan20-13, 01:05 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,922
Re the link on the front page: "Science book discussion" has a different connotation for me than "Scence textbook discussion". "Book" could include pop-sci, history and philosophy of science, etc...
Greg Bernhardt
Jan20-13, 01:10 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Re the link on the front page: "Science book discussion" has a different connotation for me than "Scence textbook discussion". "Book" could include pop-sci, history and philosophy of science, etc...
Thanks, forgot to change that :)
Greg Bernhardt
Jan20-13, 01:18 PM
Admin
I am adding polls to each thread now
G01
Jan20-13, 02:32 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
This is a great change!
ChiralWaltz
Jan20-13, 03:34 PM
P: 144
Wonderful! The "forum feedback and announcements" has low visibility to me. Perhaps a sticky advertising text book ratings in the homework help section would help generate more votes?
Greg Bernhardt
Jan20-13, 04:35 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by ChiralWaltz View Post
Wonderful! The "forum feedback and announcements" has low visibility to me. Perhaps a sticky advertising text book ratings in the homework help section would help generate more votes?
I'll make a forum wide announcement shortly :)
Pythagorean
Jan20-13, 07:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
Other Sciences:

Neuroscience:

Neuroscience by Dale Purves
From Molecules to Networks by John H. Byrne
Mathematical Neuroscience by Bard Ermentrout
Spikes, Decisions, and Actions by Hugh R. Wilson
Pythagorean
Jan20-13, 07:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
Physics:

Classical:

Electrodynamics by David J Griffiths
dlgoff
Jan20-13, 07:34 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,700
Low priority.

It would be nice to see a new "tab" when clicking on a particular text book so you can have several possible ones to compare or choose from.
drizzle
Jan20-13, 11:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
Brilliant idea! This is an excellent addition to the forum.
Petek
Jan21-13, 05:26 AM
P: 361
I really like this new approach! One comment: In the math section, all the threads that are tagged with Topology display in bold (at least in my browser - Firefox 18.0.1 on Windows 7). This makes it appear that these threads always have unread items. Can this be changed?
mfb
Jan21-13, 07:54 AM
Mentor
P: 11,576
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Low priority.

It would be nice to see a new "tab" when clicking on a particular text book so you can have several possible ones to compare or choose from.
Your browser can do this. I doubt vBulletin can be configured (without ugly hacks) to behave differently in those forums.

Quote Quote by Petek View Post
I really like this new approach! One comment: In the math section, all the threads that are tagged with Topology display in bold (at least in my browser - Firefox 18.0.1 on Windows 7). This makes it appear that these threads always have unread items. Can this be changed?
That is a bug in the prefix itself, its <b>-tags are not correct.

Probably hard to find if you do not know it exists: At the bottom left of the page, it is possible to filter for specific prefixes.
As far as I know, it is not possible to sort the forums based on those prefixes.
dlgoff
Jan21-13, 09:35 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,700
Quote Quote by mfb View Post
Your browser can do this. I doubt vBulletin can be configured (without ugly hacks) to behave differently in those forums.
Is it any different than clicking on one of the links in http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665563?

Try clicking this Physics & Astronomy Textbooks link. It opens a new tab for me.

Register to reply