Is the biology section of Physics Forum out of line with the other sections?

• Thread starter jeffinbath
  • Start date
In summary: Jeffinbath's original question was that the energy demand would be noticeable to your metabolism, and I suggest it could easily hide among other bodily processes. (Our bodies monitor energy use, but not down to the milliwatt.)
jeffinbath
Gold Member
Summary:: Only "mainstream" views allowed here !

In the very recent OP on “symptomless superspreaders of Covid 19” (which is now locked), the moderator berkeman had posted:

“Please post mainstream medical science links to start this discussion thread, or it will be locked.”

On this section of PF it is clear that one is not supposed to post any fresh suggestions or insights that do not accord with the mainstream herd view of things.

Since the OP was an original view and not in the “mainstream”, it was not possible to find direct support in the literature. This means that only mainstream views are allowed here. This is completely out of line with the other sections of Physics Forum.

• Skeptical
Likes docnet, etotheipi, Motore and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
jeffinbath said:
This means that only mainstream views are allowed here. This is completely out of line with the other sections of Physics Forum.
Only mainstream views are allowed anywhere on PF. It is part of the forum rules:
Greg Bernhardt said:
We wish to discuss mainstream science. That means only topics that can be found in textbooks or that have been published in reputable journals.
I am not sure what makes you think this is not the case throughout the forum.

As a clear and explicit rule we wish to discuss mainstream science only. One of the key mechanisms of promoting that is the tradition of asking for and providing references from the professional scientific literature. Such requests should always be honored. That is how this forum works.

@berkeman‘s actions were correct.

Last edited:
Likes Evo and docnet
jeffinbath said:
This means that only mainstream views are allowed here. This is completely out of line with the other sections of Physics Forum.

I point you to another non-mainstream thread of yours that was also locked for the very same reason. Dale is right - we to discuss mainstream science only.

jeffinbath said:
mainstream herd

"Herd" isn't very nice. Besides, it opens up the question that if most of us are sheep or cows, are there other animals around too? Like maybe jackasses?

• Haha
Likes phinds, Evo, russ_watters and 3 others
The biology section is indeed a bit out of line: since there is an actual 'hot' topic now (Covid19), with the 'reputable journals' always limping behind the events, 'biology' now often allows topics started based on journals only (without the 'reputable' part), and allowing to add the follow up only later.

But the requirement for the discussion to be based on mainstream science is still on, so a topic based only on a personal theory instead won't last long without the support of publications, even if it's about Covid19.

I think the emphasis in this case should be on the 'personal theory' instead of the mainstream.
You just failed to prove that it's not only a personal theory => lock.

By my opinion it was actually handled very politely.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
I must say that I have appreciated many of the helpful posts that my original postings have provoked on PF over the years.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, docnet and Dale
Early on we communicated that because Covid was a worldwide threat we were leaving more discretion of debatable material to the judgement of staff.

Likes BillTre
jeffinbath said:
“symptomless superspreaders of Covid 19”

It's a pity I missed that thread, as there is a pretty easy response to your original objection: Just measure how much energy is involved.

The human body is filled with hundreds of different processes, from making toenails, to beating your heart, to your immune system. My quick research suggests 80 watts is a typical rest energy consumption for a human. What if the virus consumes 0.1 watts in reproducing itself? Would you notice that? A successful virus is one that keeps its energy demands low enough to be undetected by your immune system, while still spreading. By random luck, COVID 19 keeps its energy consumption in that sweet spot for a long time. That is part of why it became so widespread.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
This has nothing to do with power demand.
A 0.1 W source of radioactivity in your body can kill you within hours.

Likes DaveE
mfb said:
This has nothing to do with power demand.
A 0.1 W source of radioactivity in your body can kill you within hours.

Yes it was. jeffinbath's original question was that the energy demand would be noticeable to your metabolism, and I suggest it could easily hide among other bodily processes. (Our bodies monitor energy use, but not down to the milliwatt.)

No one in this or the other thread mentioned radioactivity.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore

1. Why is there a biology section on a physics forum?

The biology section on Physics Forum was created to provide a platform for discussions and questions related to the intersection of biology and physics. Many topics in biology, such as biophysics and biomolecular physics, rely heavily on principles and theories from physics. Therefore, it is relevant to have a section dedicated to these discussions on a physics forum.

2. How is the biology section different from the other sections on Physics Forum?

The biology section is different from the other sections on Physics Forum in terms of the topics and discussions that take place. While the other sections focus primarily on traditional physics topics such as mechanics and thermodynamics, the biology section delves into more specific and specialized areas of physics that are relevant to biology.

3. Is the biology section given the same level of attention as the other sections on Physics Forum?

Yes, the biology section is given the same level of attention as the other sections on Physics Forum. All sections are moderated by experts in their respective fields, and questions and discussions in the biology section are given the same consideration and response as those in the other sections.

4. Can I ask questions about biology in the other sections of Physics Forum?

While the biology section is the most appropriate place to ask questions about biology, you are welcome to ask questions in other sections if they are relevant to the topic being discussed. However, it is recommended to post in the biology section for a more focused and accurate response.

5. Are there any guidelines for posting in the biology section of Physics Forum?

Yes, there are guidelines for posting in the biology section, just as there are for the other sections on Physics Forum. These guidelines include being respectful, providing clear and concise questions, and citing sources when necessary. Please refer to the forum rules for more information.