by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: forums, textbook
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Jan21-13, 09:52 AM
Admin
P: 9,701
Quote Quote by Petek View Post
I really like this new approach! One comment: In the math section, all the threads that are tagged with Topology display in bold (at least in my browser - Firefox 18.0.1 on Windows 7). This makes it appear that these threads always have unread items. Can this be changed?
That was a bug, thanks for the catch! Fixed!
mfb
Jan21-13, 10:46 AM
Mentor
P: 12,055
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Is it any different than clicking on one of the links in http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665563?
I think dlgoff meant forum topics in the forum view. Those do not have target="_blank" in the HTML code.
Petek
Jan21-13, 11:58 AM
P: 361
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
That was a bug, thanks for the catch! Fixed!
Thanks!
Greg Bernhardt
Jan23-13, 04:09 PM
Admin
Thanks to everyone posting comments and book listings. We have a good base now!
n10Newton
Jan24-13, 05:17 AM
P: 108
The Science Textbook List is about to be complete its time to include New

1.PF Science Fiction Books Discussion.
2.PF Biography Discussion.
(Some are
1.Never at Rest by Westfall.
2.The Man Who Changed the World.
3.The Man Who Knew Infinity
4.Genius by Gleick)
3.PF Historical Thesis Discussion.
(Some are
1.The Principia : Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy by Isaac Newton.
http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math...%27s+principia
2.Optiks by Isaac Newton.
3.The Mathematical Papers of Isaac Newton (Edit by Whiteside)
4.A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism by James C Maxwell.
5.Relativity by Albert Einstein.)
I like Serena
Jan24-13, 07:09 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,189
I just realized that the thread ordering of the Science Textbook Discussion will automatically show an ordering of the books.
The best known books that are either good or bad will elicit the most comments.

It's a pity though that books that are less known, or books that are more specialized, will not be recognized easily.

Perhaps it would be nice if we had a special thread that ranks the books on various criteria.
Possible criteria I can think of are:
  • Best known by total number of votes.
  • Best ranked by weighed average of the votes.
  • Ranking based on a combination of number and value of votes (but which formula to use?)
  • Most discussed by number of comments.
  • Drawing most interest by number of views.
n10Newton
Jan24-13, 07:44 AM
P: 108
Quote Quote by I like Serena View Post
It's a pity though that books that are less known, or books that are more specialized, will not be recognized easily.
The previous system 'PF Textbook Bibliography' is good regarding this.that only PF mentors include new book and must have one PF mentor or Any staff member used it.

In new system if someone view Five Stared book on Amazon having good review then he ask it or create himself. In initial somewhere Gerg said that please give information about your school/college recommended book but not in any thread University Name (Surely the most famous) appears. I have also recommended some book to list but most of them are used by India's best Institution IITs and some Intro Books like Serway Physics which is recommended by College Board for AP Preparation.
Greg Bernhardt
Jan24-13, 07:46 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by n10Newton View Post
The previous system 'PF Textbook Bibliography' is good regarding this.that only PF mentors include new book and must have one PF mentor or Any staff member used it.
In the near future we will be creating a few stickies which organize the books into some useful lists.
GregJ
Jan28-13, 09:53 AM
P: 67
Great new forum! Already put it to good use and found myself a new textbook for additional reading!

One feature that could be useful is a way to sort/filter by sub-field (for example, in Physics & Astronomy Textbooks - Classical, Relativity, etc.).
Snow-Leopard
Jan28-13, 09:59 AM
P: 53
Quote Quote by GregJ View Post
One feature that could be useful is a way to sort/filter by sub-field (for example, in Physics & Astronomy Textbooks - Classical, Relativity, etc.).
This is already read the first post
btw, because the threads are organized by topic prefix, it can be very handy to filter by prefix. This ability can be found at the bottom left of the forum listing page.
Also if you want books topic-wise then wait here he said that
In the near future we will be creating a few stickies which organize the books into some useful lists.
Greg Bernhardt
Jan28-13, 10:00 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by GregJ View Post
Great new forum! Already put it to good use and found myself a new textbook for additional reading!

Thanks GregJ! You can filter by prefix field. Look to the bottom left of the forum display page.
GregJ
Jan28-13, 10:01 AM
P: 67
Aha! Genius! :)

I read the first post, although it somehow skipped right by me. Thanks for replying (both Greg and Snow-Leopard). You can delete my posts if you like (don't wish to clutter this thread).
Snow-Leopard
Jan28-13, 10:11 AM
When I visit the Textbook forum firstly I also want to ask to filter! here I say that today. Make a Stickies as Undergraduate Physics, Mathematical Physics etc. one thing more all mathematical methods book are listed in Math Section prifixed Applied which is harder to find i.e., if someone wants mathematical methods books then he search it in physics not in maths!!
micromass
Jan31-13, 01:54 PM
Mentor
P: 18,346
I have created a textbook list in the mathematics forum to make it easier to navigate through the books: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4251630

Is this a good way to order all the books?

What sections should I use for the other textbooks forums?
Greg Bernhardt
Jan31-13, 01:57 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
I have created a textbook list in the mathematics forum to make it easier to navigate through the books: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4251630

Three cheers for micromass!!
Snow-Leopard
Jan31-13, 02:08 PM
Better to Rearrange as Level-wise then Topic-wise as
Undergraduate_-_Algebra_-_Introduction to Linear Algebra by Lang,S.
phion
Feb1-13, 01:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 58
Quote Quote by micromass View Post

Awesome.

Register to reply