Register to reply

What is the divergence of a unit vector not in the r direction?

by SiggyYo
Tags: direction, divergence, unit, vector
Share this thread:
SiggyYo
Feb1-13, 01:44 PM
P: 5
Hi guys,

I've run across a problem. In finding the potential energy between two electrical quadrupoles, I've come across the expression for the energy as follows:

[itex]U_{Q}=\frac{3Q_{0}}{4r^{4}}\left[(\hat{k}\cdot \nabla)(5(\hat{k}\cdot \hat{r})^3-2(\hat{k}\cdot \hat{r})^2-(\hat{k}\cdot \hat{r}))\right],[/itex]

where [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] is the orientation of the quadrupoles, and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is the direction between the quadrupoles.

If I let [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] be in the [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]-direction, I get

[itex]U_{Q}=\frac{3Q_{0}}{4r^{4}}\left[(\hat{k}\cdot \nabla)(5(\cos{\theta})^3-2(\cos{\theta})^2-(\cos{\theta}))\right].[/itex]

My problem now is, that I don't know what to do about the divergence of the [itex]\hat{k}[/itex]-vector. I would like to do the differentiation in cartesian coordinates, but have them translated into spherical polar coordinates. I know, that the result should probably involve a [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex]-factor, but I can't seem to do it right. I've tried to rewrite [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] in polar coordinates and tried using the chain rule on the derivative, but I get 3 as an answer. So I don't know if the initial expression is wrong, or I just dont know how to take the derivative. Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
chiro
Feb1-13, 10:30 PM
P: 4,573
Hey SiggyYo.

Have you tried representing a transformation between spherical and cartesian?

(Example: for (r,theta) -> (x,y) we have y/x = arctan(theta) and x^2 + y^2 = r^2 which can be used to get (x,y)).
SiggyYo
Feb2-13, 10:47 AM
P: 5
Thank you chiro for the quick response.

I am afraid I don't know what you mean. Wouldn't I just obtain the usual
[itex]x=r\sin{\theta}\cos{\phi}[/itex]
[itex]y=r\sin{\theta}\sin{\phi}[/itex]
[itex]z=r\cos{\theta}[/itex]?

Also, I want [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] to be a unit vector, which gives me [itex]r=1[/itex]. How do I take this into account, when trying to get a result with a factor of [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex]? I am really lost on this one :P

chiro
Feb2-13, 08:26 PM
P: 4,573
What is the divergence of a unit vector not in the r direction?

If k is a unit vector, then I don't think you will have any extra terms.

I'm not really sure what you are doing or trying to say: you have a conversion from polar to R^3 and provided the formula is correct, you should be able to plug these definitions in.

Also is the r term in your equation related to some vector in polar or is it some other variable?

Register to reply