Polar coordinates and unit vectors

In summary, polar unit vectors ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## are unit vectors whose directions vary from point to point in the plane. In polar coordinates, the location of an arbitrary point ##P## on the plane is solely given in terms of the vector ##\hat{r}##. However, in order to identify a specific point, the component for the angular unit vector ##\hat{\theta}## must also be specified. This can be done by using the notation $$P = r\hat{r}(\theta) = r\hat{r}(\theta = \pi/2)$$ to denote the point where the radial unit vector has a direction of ##\pi/
fog37
Hello,

I get that both polar unit vectors, ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}##, are unit vectors whose directions varies from point to point in the plane. In polar coordinates, the location of an arbitrary point ##P## on the plane is solely given in terms of one of the unit vector, the vector ##\hat{r}##. Fo example, ##P=3 \hat{r}##. But how do we know where the point is? We only know it is 3 units away from the origin but don't know in which direction. Don't we need a component for the angular unit vector ##\hat{\theta}## as well? Shouldn't the position of point $$P=r \hat{r} + \theta \hat{\theta}$$ where the components are ##(r, \theta)##?
I understand that the two unit vectors are orthogonal to each other and their direction depends on which point we are considering in the plane...

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
I get that both polar unit vectors ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}##, are unit vectors whose directions varies from point to point in the plane. In polar coordinates, the location of an arbitrary point ##P## on the plane is solely given in terms of one of the unit vector, the vector ##\hat{r}##.
No, that's not true. The radial unit vector gives only the distance from the origin -- the point could be anywhere on a circle of that radius.
fog37 said:
Fo example, ##P=3 \hat{r}##. But how do we know where the point is?
We don't, unless we also know the angle.
fog37 said:
We only know it is 3 units away from the origin but don't know in which direction. Don't we need a component for the angular unit vector ##\hat{\theta}## as well?

Likes fog37
fog37 said:
Hello,

I get that both polar unit vectors, ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}##, are unit vectors whose directions varies from point to point in the plane. In polar coordinates, the location of an arbitrary point ##P## on the plane is solely given in terms of one of the unit vector, the vector ##\hat{r}##. Fo example, ##P=3 \hat{r}##. But how do we know where the point is? We only know it is 3 units away from the origin but don't know in which direction. Don't we need a component for the angular unit vector ##\hat{\theta}## as well? Shouldn't the position of point $$P=r \hat{r} + \theta \hat{\theta}$$ where the components are ##(r, \theta)##?
I understand that the two unit vectors are orthogonal to each other and their direction depends on which point we are considering in the plane...

thanks!

You do need two coordinates to define the point. But, the radial unit vector at that point is a function of ##\theta##. In other words, ##\theta## implicitly determines the direction of ##\hat{r}##.

Likes fog37
Hi Perok,

do you have a simple example to share? By just reading ##P= 3r \hat{r}##, I don't see how I can identify the specific point on the circumference of radius ##r=3##.

I see how the two polar unit vectors go in pair and if we know where one points we automatically know the other. But how do we have enough information from just stating ##P=r \hat{r}## without the component for ## \hat{\theta}##?

fog37 said:
Hi Perok,

do you have a simple example to share? By just reading ##P= 3r \hat{r}##, I don't see how I can identify the specific point on the circumference of radius ##r=3##.

I see how the two polar unit vectors go in pair and if we know where one points we automatically know the other. But how do we have enough information from just stating ##P=r \hat{r}## without the component for ## \hat{\theta}##?

Let's take acceleration in uniform circular motion about the origin. We have, at each point on the circle:

##\vec{a} = -a\hat{r}##

However, ##\hat{r}## depends on the coordinates. So, if you want to refer to a specific point, you also need to specify ##\theta##.

The acceleration vector in this case has zero component in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction.

Likes fog37
Here's another way to look at it. First when we have:

##\vec{r} = x \hat{x} + y \hat{y}##

Then ##x, y## are variables, depending on position, and the Cartesian unit vectors are constant. You must specify both variables to identify a specific vector.

And, when we have:

##\vec{r} = r \hat{r}##

Then both ##r## and ##\hat{r}## are variables. Again you must specify both variables to identify a specific vector. In this case however, it is the coordinate ##\theta ## that species ##\hat{r}##.

Likes fog37
I see, thanks. That makes sense.

Writing the point as ## 0 \hat{x} +2 \hat{y}## involves the Cartesian coordinates ##(0,2)##. In polar, the two coordinates are ##(2, \pi/2)## but simply writing ##2 \hat{r}## would not be sufficient since the dependence of ##\hat{r}## on ##\theta## is implicit and not specified...

Likes PeroK
So would the correct notation be $$r \hat{r}(\theta) = 2 \hat{r}(\theta = \pi/2) $$ to identify the point ##P## described above? I have never seen it written like this...

Likes Cryo
fog37 said:
So would the correct notation be $$r \hat{r}(\theta) = 2 \hat{r}(\theta = \pi/2) $$ to identify the point ##P## described above? I have never seen it written like this...

Yes it would.

The difficulties you are having simply go to show that in general "position vectors" can be difficult to define unless you are using suitable coordinate system. In polar coordinates, for example, you can define a vector that connects origin to some other point. But you cannot define a vector that connects the points ##\theta=0## and ##\theta=\pi/2## on a unit circle.

In other coordinate systems, e.g. parabolic or bipolar, even the vector from origin to a point will no longer be definable. :-)

Cryo said:
Yes it would.

The difficulties you are having simply go to show that in general "position vectors" can be difficult to define unless you are using suitable coordinate system. In polar coordinates, for example, you can define a vector that connects origin to some other point. But you cannot define a vector that connects the points ##\theta=0## and ##\theta=\pi/2## on a unit circle.

In other coordinate systems, e.g. parabolic or bipolar, even the vector from origin to a point will no longer be definable. :-)
I don't think "position" (a point in space) and "vectors" (a direction and magnitude) have any inherent relationship. You can use positions in space to describe a vector, like the 2-D vector from (0,0) to (1,1), but this vector isn't "at" (0,0). In this example it is the same vector as the vector described as connecting (0,1) to (1,2). The direction and length are the same, so the vectors are the same.

DaveE said:
I don't think "position" (a point in space) and "vectors" (a direction and magnitude) have any inherent relationship.

That was the point I was trying to make :-).

DaveE said:
You can use positions in space to describe a vector, like the 2-D vector from (0,0) to (1,1), but this vector isn't "at" (0,0). In this example it is the same vector as the vector described as connecting (0,1) to (1,2). The direction and length are the same, so the vectors are the same.

This logic works well on abstract level, but try to apply it to space addressed by, say, polar coordinates and spanned by polar basis vectors (which are position dependent). In fact, I would say that vectors are always "at" somewhere when it comes to space. More specifically, the only "safe" way I know how to define a vector is in the tangent space of a manifold (here Eucledian space). This definition specifically links vectors vectors to a point where the tangent space is defined

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference line. This is different from Cartesian coordinates, which use a horizontal and vertical distance from the origin. Polar coordinates are often used in situations where the distance from the origin is more important than the specific x and y coordinates.

2. How do you convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, θ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y), you can use the following formulas: x = r * cos(θ) and y = r * sin(θ). This means that the x-coordinate is equal to the radius multiplied by the cosine of the angle, and the y-coordinate is equal to the radius multiplied by the sine of the angle.

3. What are unit vectors and how are they used in polar coordinates?

Unit vectors are vectors with a magnitude of 1 that are used to represent directions in a coordinate system. In polar coordinates, the unit vectors are typically denoted as ȷ and ȷ̂. ȷ represents the direction of increasing angle (counterclockwise) and ȷ̂ represents the direction of increasing distance from the origin.

4. Can you use polar coordinates in three-dimensional space?

Yes, polar coordinates can be extended to three-dimensional space by adding a third coordinate, typically denoted as z. In this case, the distance from the origin is represented by the radius r, the angle from the reference line is represented by θ, and the height above the xy-plane is represented by z.

5. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates is equal to the radius r. To find the direction of the vector, you can use the angle θ. If the vector is pointing in the direction of increasing angle (counterclockwise), then the direction is θ. If the vector is pointing in the direction of decreasing angle (clockwise), then the direction is 360° - θ.