Calculating Divergence of a Vector Field in Three Dimensions

In summary, when calculating the divergence of a vector field, all partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z should be taken, even if the z-component of the vector field is 0. This is because even though the z-component may not be changing, it still contributes to the overall divergence calculation.
I_laff
If I have a vector field say ## v = e^{z}(y\hat{i}+x\hat{j}) ##, and I want to calculate the divergence. Do I only take partial derivatives with respect to x and y (like so, ## \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial A_y}{\partial y} ##) or should I take partial derivatives with respect to x, y and z (like so, ## \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial A_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial A_z}{\partial z} ##). I'm confused as to which one because there is no ## \hat{k} ## unit vector, but z is changing and the graph should therefore be three dimensional.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get this problem? It could be a typo. Did you check the online errata page associated with the book?

It seems the e^z term is the k-component in which case you take its partial derivative with respect to z.

The example was made up however, I remember seeing a question like this and it had me confused.

Oh apologies I made an error in my vector field equation, it has been corrected now.

Okay so the k-component would be ##0\hat{k}##

Now take your x,y,z partials for the divergence.

So since the k component is 0, would that not mean that the divergence is calculated using only the partials of x and y since ## A_z = 0 ##.

Yes but you need to remember to do all of them.

1. What is divergence of a vector field?

Divergence is a mathematical operation that measures the flow of a vector field at a given point. It represents the amount of fluid or mass that is entering or leaving a small region around that point.

2. How is divergence calculated?

Divergence is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇). This results in a scalar value that represents the magnitude of the flow at a particular point.

3. What does a positive divergence value indicate?

A positive divergence value indicates that the vector field is flowing outward from a point, meaning that the fluid or mass is spreading out and becoming less dense.

4. What does a negative divergence value indicate?

A negative divergence value indicates that the vector field is flowing inward towards a point, meaning that the fluid or mass is becoming more dense.

5. Why is divergence important in physics and engineering?

Divergence is important because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids and other vector fields, which is crucial in many areas such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It also allows us to analyze and predict the flow of these fields in various systems.