by JesseC
Tags: sleep, thinking
OCR
Jan10-13, 01:22 AM
P: 108
Quote Quote by SimsStuart View Post
indulge in any other form of artificial joy
Lol, that could likely give a person that nasty... "false sense of well being"

Lol... or a "false sense of well being", as in euphoria.

What's so bad about a little euphoria?...

Seems a lot better than it's counter part.

OCR...
berkeman
Jan10-13, 02:01 AM
Mentor
P: 39,578
Temp closed for Moderation

Re-opened.
jim hardy
Jan10-13, 12:43 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,134
Thanks, Mentors

Indeed Jung has his fans and his detractors.

A friend of mine put it well: "We're all diamonds , with some facets that are polished and some that are rough."

Professor Noll says as much about Jung in this interview at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdbqV5LoElw

See around 05:05 and 12:12.
Evo
Jan10-13, 11:02 PM
Mentor
P: 25,911
Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
Thanks, Mentors

Indeed Jung has his fans and his detractors.

A friend of mine put it well: "We're all diamonds , with some facets that are polished and some that are rough."

Professor Noll says as much about Jung in this interview at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdbqV5LoElw

See around 05:05 and 12:12.
I didn't get that all all, and I watched the entire video. Did you post the right video, because this one is very honest about Jung's mental problems and Aryan/anti-semitic views.
jim hardy
Jan11-13, 07:05 PM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I didn't get that all all, and I watched the entire video. Did you post the right video, because this one is very honest about Jung's mental problems and Aryan/anti-semitic views.
To be honest Evo i was flabbergasted to see "People" magazine cited as a source in a science forum,
So i went direct to the source, an interview with the actual author..

What i saw in that interview was an author who wants to sell books so stirs up a controversy.
He credited Jung with excellent work in his field, if you listen.

What i saw in the 'People' book review was pure titillation, intended to make people feel superior by looking down on others .

Here's a more balanced review from a more reputable-looking scientific journal:

[QUOTE]Just a little more than a decade ago, Jung's personality took a beating in biographies by Richard Noll (The Jung Cult, 1997) and the Aryan Christ (1997), and only somewhat less so in Frank McLynn's Carl Gustav Jung (1997). In that same year, a far more sympathetic and insightful little biography, The Wounded Jung: Effects of Jung's Relationships on His Life and Work, written by philosopher and historian Robert C. Smith, quietly appeared as if to compensate for these other rather one-sided assaults on Jung's character. In his book, Smith, who had actually at one time personally corresponded with Jung, emphasizes the profound effects of Jung's intimate interpersonal relationships, starting with his parents, on the great psychiatrists's life and work. He argues that it was mainly Jung's ambivalent feelings toward his mother--not his relationship with his father as most Jung biographers assume-- that exerted the most powerful influence on Jung's stormy yet extraordinary psychological development.
QUOTE]
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...it-personality

One must remember this was shortly after the time of Nietzsche , the creator of the myth of a super-race . In what kind of world did he grow up?

One could point to "My Sister and I" if he wanted to bash Nietzsche,

I haven't read "Aryan Christ".
But i've read enough Jung to have respect for him. His "split brain " concept is turning out to have a possible physiological basis.

old jim
Evo
Jan11-13, 07:54 PM
Mentor
P: 25,911
To be honest Evo i was flabbergasted to see "People" magazine cited as a source in a science forum,
So I went direct to the source, an interview with the actual author..
I thought the PR blurb from People was the most succint, and since this thread isn't about Jung (we are off topic at this point) it was all that was needed to explain his occult beliefs without getting into too much detail.

It is well known that Jung is considered a crackpot. That doesn't mean some people don't think of him as one. But seriously, it's no secret that he was very much into occultism and New Age nonsense has revived an interest in him. Just because at some point he had some normal ideas doesn't mean he's not a crackpot.

So, if you believe in the things he says, ok, but we need to get back to the thread topic.
jim hardy
Jan11-13, 07:56 PM
Sci Advisor
we need to get back to the thread topic.
agreed
jim hardy
Jan13-13, 09:58 AM
Sci Advisor
I guess the thread put Jesse asleep.
JesseC
Jan13-13, 10:28 AM
P: 281

I appreciate hearing other peoples anecdotes and advice. I did in fact try telling myself to "stop thinking" on a couple of occasions - it didn't work xD. Instead, I decided to try to complete a boring metal task - learning the alphabet backwards. It didn't work either but at least now can actually recite the alphabet backwards. I have now taken to getting away from the computer and reading a book for 15mins before sleep - I believe that this has helped. Will attempt to get into a regular sleeping pattern too.

In addition, as the NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Insomni...roduction.aspx) and a number of posters here have pointed out, stress doesn't help. So I'm hoping for some improvement now that exams are over.

To be honest I didn't understand the psychological debates, which appear to have now been heavily moderated, so I won't comment!

So thanks everyone for your input.
berkeman
Jan13-13, 02:43 PM
Mentor

Quote Quote by JesseC View Post

I appreciate hearing other peoples anecdotes and advice. I did in fact try telling myself to "stop thinking" on a couple of occasions - it didn't work xD. Instead, I decided to try to complete a boring metal task - learning the alphabet backwards. It didn't work either but at least now can actually recite the alphabet backwards. I have now taken to getting away from the computer and reading a book for 15mins before sleep - I believe that this has helped. Will attempt to get into a regular sleeping pattern too.

In addition, as the NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Insomni...roduction.aspx) and a number of posters here have pointed out, stress doesn't help. So I'm hoping for some improvement now that exams are over.

To be honest I didn't understand the psychological debates, which appear to have now been heavily moderated, so I won't comment!

So thanks everyone for your input.
Did you try the closed-eye visuals thing?
JesseC
Jan13-13, 02:46 PM
P: 281
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post

Did you try the closed-eye visuals thing?
Not yet, I'll try it out tonight if I have trouble sleeping!
berkeman
Jan13-13, 02:56 PM
Mentor
Even if it doesn't always help you sleep, it is almost always entertaining. Hang in there!
Nano-Passion
Jan29-13, 11:27 PM
P: 1,306
Can't give you any advice here, you have to eliminate as many things as possible to find the root cause.

A possible cause of sleeplessness is anxiety or fast thoughts, just these two symptoms alone can be linked to a number of things so its hard for us to suggest a cause for your sleeplessness. With that said, it is best you seek a professional. Personally, I used to take hours to sleep at times. I tried a lot of things but they didn't work. It ended up being from bipolar disorder (I was recently diagnosed to my surprise). I now sleep much much quicker since I have started medication (lithium) - and I'm glad I did.
phion
Feb4-13, 01:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 47
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
It is well known that Jung is considered a crackpot.
After glossing through Liber Novus for the first time my opinion about everything Jung wrote changed dramatically, but I always thought it was all a bit over-wrought. He went way off the deep end during the period that book was... written. It did, however, keep me up for hours. Surprised I didn't have nightmares.
RabbitWho
Feb10-13, 05:24 AM
P: 102
I find that when I go to bed it normally takes me an hour to go to sleep, but if I put an audiobook on the computer and tell it to turn itself off after an hour I don't even get to hear 15 minutes of the story before I'm gone. Maybe if you can find something like that to focus your thoughts you'll do better.

Or try learning to mediate, because it's all about keeping out thoughts and it helps with concentration as well as insomnia. It's soooooooo hard though, I can't keep from thinking.

Register to reply