Exploring Non-Separable Solutions for the Time-Dependent Schrödinger Equation

In summary, the process of separating variables when solving the Schrödinger equation does not limit us to separable solutions. It simply provides us with a convenient basis from which we can construct the most general solution. While it is possible to derive non-separable solutions, the separation of variables method is typically used as it allows for exact solutions and is more efficient. It is also used in cases where the Hamiltonian does not have analytic eigenfunctions. The process applies to both the time independent and time dependent Schrödinger equations and allows for the construction of more general solutions through linear combinations of separable solutions.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Everywhere I look,in every textbook,online texts,video tutorials,everywhere,Schrödinger equation is always solved via separating variables.
I want to know is there a way to solve Schrödinger equation(of course I mean time-dependent Schrödinger equation)without separating variables?
Is it possible to derive a non-separable general solution?Or in some special cases?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The process of separation variables does not restrict you to separable solutions. All is does it give you a complete set (i.e. a basis) of solutions from which you can build up the most general solution. For example, suppose you have ##\phi_1, \phi_2## as solutions to the time independent Schrodinger equation with energies ##E_1, E_2##, respectively. Then the wavefunction ##\psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\phi_1(x) e^{-iE_1t/\hbar} + \phi_2(x) e^{-iE_2t/\hbar})## is a solution to the full time dependent Schrodinger equation, but is not separable. Because we have a complete set of solutions, any solution to the time dependent equation can be written as a sum of energy eigenstates times the appropriate time evolution factor.

The reason we do the separation of variables procedure is that the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian are a very convenient basis in which to express your general solution. The reason is that the time evolution operator is ##e^{-iHt/\hbar}##. This looks simple, but computing the exponential of an operator like the Hamiltonian is, in general, extremely complicated—in fact, in a poorly chosen basis the problem is intractable. However, if we can find a set of stationary states by solving the time independent equation then getting the general time dependent solution is trivial. If our general solution is written as ##\psi(x) = \sum_i c_i \phi_i(x)## where each ##\phi_i## is a solution to the time independent equation with energy ##E_i##, then the time evolved solution is ##\psi(x,t) = e^{-iHt/\hbar}\psi(x) = \sum_i c_i\phi_i(x) e^{-iE_it/\hbar}##. That is, the time evolution operator applied to each term just becomes a complex phase with a period determined by the state's energy.

So, the process of separation of variables is completely general and allows us to construct non-separable solutions too as a superposition of the separable solutions. You could do it a different way, but it'd be a daft to do so if you didn't need to since you'd be trading away an exact solution for an inexact one. It is something we do, but generally only if the time independent Schrodinger equation's solutions are intractable, or if we have a time-dependent Hamiltonian (in which case we can't use the formal expression above for the time evolution operator). This is done generally when interactions are considered (like in quantum field theory) and the Hamiltonian doesn't have analytic eigenfunctions, so instead you express your solution as a perturbation series.

Last edited:
Note also that this all applies to using separation of variables on the time independent Schrodinger equation too! For instance, when looking for solutions for hydrogen atom we look for separable solutions that are the product of a wavefunction with radial dependence and one with angular dependence. That doesn't mean we are limited to solutions of this form. It just means, again, that we get a basis of separable solutions that we can use to build up the most general (non-separable) solutions. That is precisely what we do when we use the s, p, d, etc. orbitals to make "hybridized" orbitals like sp2 that get used in certain molecular bonds. All it is a taking linear combinations of the basis states to make more general states.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical formula that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a certain time.

2. Why is solving the Schrödinger equation important?

Solving the Schrödinger equation allows us to predict and understand the behavior of quantum systems, which are essential for many modern technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also provides a framework for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other small-scale systems.

3. What are the challenges involved in solving the Schrödinger equation?

One of the main challenges in solving the Schrödinger equation is that it is a complex partial differential equation that cannot be solved analytically for most systems. This means that numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution. Another challenge is that the equation has different forms for different types of systems, making it difficult to apply a single method to all situations.

4. What are some common methods for solving the Schrödinger equation?

Some common methods for solving the Schrödinger equation include the finite difference method, the variational method, and the perturbation method. These methods use different techniques and approximations to solve the equation and obtain the quantum state of a system.

5. What are the applications of solving the Schrödinger equation?

Solving the Schrödinger equation has numerous applications in many fields, including physics, chemistry, materials science, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules, develop new materials, and understand the properties of quantum systems. It is also essential for developing new technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication.