Heat Equation: Solve with Non-Homogeneous Boundary Conditions

It can be found by solving the ODE given by equation (2) and is dependent on the specific heat capacity of the air, the convective heat transfer coefficient, and the heat flux from the fluid.In summary, we have a plane wall with constant thermal conductivity between two thermal reservoirs. The reservoir on the left is kept at a constant temperature and has a high convective coefficient, resulting in a boundary condition at the left wall. At time t=0, the wall and a cold reservoir are brought into thermal contact with a warm reservoir, both initially at the same uniform temperature. The wall and blue reservoir start to heat up, with a boundary condition given at the right wall. However, separation of variables does not work due to the
erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Imagine you have a plane wall with constant thermal conductivity, that is the intermediate between two thermal reservoirs:

1690309465801.png

The reservoir on the left is being kept at temp ##T_s##, and it is a fluid that has very high convective coefficient ##h##. As a result, the boundary condition at the LHS wall is given by:

$$ T(0,t) = T_s $$

at time ##t=0## the wall and the cold reservoir are brought into thermal contact with the warm reservoir. The wall and the blue reservoir are both initially at the same uniform temperature ##T(x,0) = T_o##.

The blue reservoir and the wall start to heat up. The boundary condition on the RHS wall is given by:

$$ -k \left. \frac{\partial T}{ \partial x} \right|_{L} = h \left( T(L,t) - T_{air}(t) \right) $$

The heat equation for the plane wall is given by:

$$ \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x ^2} = \rho c_p \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}$$

So we have three non-homogenous boundary conditions, what is the idea to solve the PDE? Apparently, separation of variables does not work because of the non-zero boundary conditions.

The only thing I know (almost nothing) about solving PDE's I've learned from YouTube videos... Why does having non-zero boundary conditions throw a fork in it, and how big of a fork is it?

Thanks for any guidance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do we know about [itex]T_{\mathrm{air}}[/itex]?

Have you tried a Laplace transform in time? That gives [tex]
\kappa(p\hat T - T_0) = \frac{\partial^2 \hat T}{\partial x^2}[/tex] where [itex]\kappa= \rho c_p[/itex] subject to [tex]
\hat T(0,p) = \frac{T_s}{p}, \quad \left.-k\frac{\partial \hat T}{\partial x}\right|_{x=L} = h(\hat T(L,p) - \hat T_{air}(p)).[/tex] That does leave you with [tex]
\hat T(x,p) = \frac{T_0}{p} + A(p)\cosh(\sqrt{\kappa p}x) + B(p)\sinh(\sqrt{\kappa p}x)[/tex] which is not easy to invert.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
It's going to be found via the following ODE:

$$ m_{air} c_{air} \frac{dT_{air}}{dt} = h A ( T(L,t) - T_{air}(t) ) + \dot q \tag{2}$$

The first term on the RHS is basically the boundary condition on the right wall. The ##\dot q ## is just a constant term.
pasmith said:
\kappa(p\hat T - T_0) = \frac{\partial^2 \hat T}{\partial x^2}[/tex] where [itex]\kappa= \rho c_p[/itex] subject to [tex]
\hat T(0,p) = \frac{T_s}{p}, \quad \left.-k\frac{\partial \hat T}{\partial x}\right|_{x=L} = h(\hat T(L,p) - \hat T_{air}(p)).[/tex] That does leave you with [tex]
\hat T(x,p) = \frac{T_0}{p} + A(p)\cosh(\sqrt{\kappa p}x) + B(p)\sinh(\sqrt{\kappa p}x)[/tex] which is not easy to invert.
I'm not lying when I said the only thing I know about PDE methods is from YouTube. Heck, I have very little formal understanding of ODE's for that matter. Am I understanding correctly that separation of variables simply does not work. Or is it that it takes extra massaging?

I was hoping that if I could find ##T(x,t) = F(x)G(t)##, then I could use:

$$ \left. \frac{\partial T}{ \partial x} \right|_{x=L} = \left. \frac{\partial F}{ \partial x} \right|_{x=L} G(t) $$

subbing into (2) to get some kind of system.

I'm likely just getting all tangled up in stuff that won't work.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
How does this work? I see you have introduced ##p## and the partial w.r.t. time disappears? I’m obviously oblivious to something.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
In this context, ##T_{air}## is considered the bulk air temperature outside the thermal boundary layer.

Last edited:
Likes erobz

1. What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat in a given system. It is often used in physics and engineering to understand how heat is transferred and distributed in various materials.

2. What are non-homogeneous boundary conditions?

Non-homogeneous boundary conditions refer to a situation where the temperature or heat flux at the boundaries of a system are not constant. In other words, the boundary conditions are not the same throughout the system.

3. How do you solve the heat equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions?

To solve the heat equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, Laplace transform, or the finite difference method. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler forms and applying boundary conditions to find a solution.

4. What are some real-life applications of the heat equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions?

The heat equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions has many practical applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in buildings, designing heating and cooling systems, and understanding the thermal behavior of materials in industrial processes.

5. What are some challenges in solving the heat equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions?

One of the main challenges in solving the heat equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions is the complexity of the equations and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, obtaining accurate boundary conditions and accounting for external factors can also be challenging.