Electric field of a uniformly charged disk

by Woopydalan
Tags: charged, disk, electric, field, uniformly
Woopydalan
Feb8-13, 03:52 PM
P: 746
Hello,

I am looking at an example of finding the charge of a uniform disk with a continuous charge on the surface.

They go about the problem by finding the infinitesimal charge of concentric rings

dq = σdA = σ(2πr dr)

The part I don't understand is that they use the area as 2πr dr? The area of a ring would be ∏(R2^2 - R1^2), right?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
jtbell
Feb8-13, 04:05 PM
Mentor
P: 11,235
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
The area of a ring would be ∏(R2^2 - R1^2), right?
Correct, that's the exact area of the ring. However, if dr = R2 - R1 is small, the other formula is a very good approximation, which gets better and better as dr becomes smaller and smaller. To see this, let R2 = R1 + dr in the equation above, cancel out whatever you can, and then drop any terms with (dr)^2. Those terms become negligible compared to terms with just dr, when dr is very small.
Woopydalan
Feb8-13, 04:14 PM
P: 746
Ok I just calculated it and now I see. The book didn't even bother to explain that approximation, which left me confused. Thank you for clearing that up so quickly =)

Register to reply