Register to reply

Setup for the saturn effects of Kristian Birkeland's experiments

Share this thread:
motorman
Feb9-13, 08:05 AM
P: 27
Hi,

Has anyone in recent times reproduced the experiments of Kristian Birkeland, WRT to his Saturn effect using his terrella?

If so what were the conditions?

Adam
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
russ_watters
Feb9-13, 12:29 PM
Mentor
P: 22,304
Googling for this "Saturn effect" reveals only this thread. Do you have a source for this?
Nugatory
Feb9-13, 12:43 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,760
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Googling for this "Saturn effect" reveals only this thread. Do you have a source for this?

You're lucky then.... How did you avoid getting 93 bazillion results from the astrology/nutcase sites?

But googling for "saturn effect terrella" brought up some useful stuff starting with http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/mwg-...?id=lvDA410z4w

russ_watters
Feb9-13, 12:55 PM
Mentor
Setup for the saturn effects of Kristian Birkeland's experiments

Actually, I searched "Kristian Birkeland saturn effect" (without the quotes). The first entry was this thread. The second was the wiki article on Birkeland and "saturn effect" does not appear anywhere in it. Adding quotes around "saturn effect" returns a bunch of links to this thread via phys.org.
motorman
Feb9-13, 03:37 PM
i had submitted these question(other threads) to this forum hoping to get some sort of educated discussion and sanity some ideas. if you're happy with accepted ideas of science and tech, and afraid of sailing too close to the edge of the world, i politely ask you not add to this thread.
motorman
Feb9-13, 03:51 PM
now, as for the subject of this thread, reading birkeland's report suggests that fitting a solid sphere with a solenoid to emulate a planet's mag field, then he applies a voltage difference across the sphere. he starts to see strange effects that simulate the earth aurora and under different conditions, simulates saturns rings.

this kind of stuff is more familiar in the mhd comunity, but no-one has reproduced the effects.

i take it this effect is not well known, but if anyone has knowledge of a working setup im interested in hearing about it.
russ_watters
Feb9-13, 04:07 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by motorman View Post
i had submitted these question(other threads) to this forum hoping to get some sort of educated discussion and sanity some ideas.
That's nice. So does "the saturn effect" exist anywhere but in your head? Did you make it up? All I'm asking is for you to explain and source the topic of discussion so people know what the subject is about! You won't get any useful responses if people don't know what you are talking about![quote]
if you're happy with accepted ideas of science and tech, and afraid of sailing too close to the edge of the world, i politely ask you not add to this thread.
I'm a moderator here. It is my job to ensure discussions follow forum rules.
reading birkeland's report
Do you have a link to a copy of this report?
Vanadium 50
Feb9-13, 04:14 PM
Mentor
P: 16,385
Motorman, with all due respect, it is not your place to say who can and cannot participate here.

Also, I would encourage you to read the PF Rules on Overly Specualtive Posts. Soon.

Register to reply