A problem with science media coverage

• I
  • Thread starter KosKallah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, a recent paper published on Arxiv has been receiving attention from science dissemination media, with journalists claiming that the authors have proven a breach in time symmetry for a three-body system composed of black holes. However, the actual subject of the paper is to analyze the effect of computational precision on time symmetry in numerically-simulated three-body experiments. The time-irreversibility found is attributed to the effect of exponential sensitivity to approximation errors. This highlights the issue of media sensationalism in science coverage, which can hinder the understanding of research and the subject itself. Unfortunately, this is not a new occurrence, as media presentations are not focused on education but rather on selling products. This raises the question of how to make scientific dissemination media more
KosKallah
TL;DR Summary
Questioning implications of the media coverage of the paper "Gargantuan chaotic gravitational three-body systems and their irreversibility to the Planck length", by Boekholt et al., specifically on their implications on time symmetry of physical systems.
Recently, a paper has taken some scientific dissemination media coverage, at which journalists claim the authors have proven a breach in time symmetry for a three-body system composed of black holes.

This is the paper's address at Arxiv: https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.04029

Initially, I would like to point out that the actual subject of the paper is to analyze the effect of computational precision over the observed time symmetry in numerically-simulated three-body experiments. Very relevant to notice is that all time-irreversibility found is considered to be the effect of exponential sensitivity to approximation errors, as described in the text: "If the tracking time [the maximum number of iterations at which the system still retains causal relation to the initial conditions, i.e.: has not been fully converted into another system by the buildup of initially infinitesimal approximation errors] is shorter than the escape time [the time it takes for the three-body system to degenerate into a two-body system or into three free bodies with uncorrelated trajectories], then the numerical solution has diverged from the physical solution, and as a consequence, it has become time irreversible." ("Results" session of the paper, second paragraph - explanations between brackets are my own).

My point is that that science dissemination media has taken the paper backwards and that can damage a layman's (such as myself) understanding of the research and the subject itself, thus hurting what it should nurture.

That is a recurring event and I remember seeing, in the frontpage of a science dissemination magazine in my country, an artistic depiction of the "Daedalus" (a conceptual nuclear spaceship) with windows in the spheres where it should only store fuel.

My question is: considering that scientific dissemination media depends on public interest and techniques such as "click baits" and other forms of sensationalism are tempting to use, how could we make scientific dissemination media less tending towards "explosive", yet incorrect, coverage and more faithful to the studies themselves?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
KosKallah said:
My question is: considering that scientific dissemination media depends on public interest and techniques such as "click baits" and other forms of sensationalism are tempting to use, how could we make scientific dissemination media less tending towards "explosive", yet incorrect, coverage and more faithful to the studies themselves?
Not going to happen. We've had plenty of threads here on PF discussing this. Media presentations are NOT educational, they exist to sell soap (or cars or whatever).

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
Media presentations are NOT educational, they exist to sell soap (or cars or whatever).
Bz+C+210817+P.jpg

Bizarro

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DennisN, russ_watters and phinds

1. What is the main issue with science media coverage?

The main issue with science media coverage is that it often sensationalizes and oversimplifies complex scientific topics, leading to misinformation and misunderstandings among the general public.

2. How does sensationalized science media coverage affect public perception of science?

Sensationalized science media coverage can create a distorted view of scientific research and findings, leading to distrust and skepticism towards the scientific community. It can also contribute to the spread of pseudoscience and conspiracy theories.

3. What are some potential consequences of inaccurate science media coverage?

Inaccurate science media coverage can have serious consequences, such as the spread of false information, misguided public policies, and wasted resources on research that is not supported by evidence.

4. What can be done to improve science media coverage?

To improve science media coverage, journalists and media outlets should strive to accurately and objectively report on scientific topics, avoiding sensationalism and oversimplification. Scientists can also play a role by communicating their research in a clear and accessible manner to the media and the public.

5. How can the general public become more critical consumers of science media?

The general public can become more critical consumers of science media by fact-checking information from multiple sources, being aware of biases and conflicts of interest, and seeking out reputable and reliable sources for scientific information.