Math 55 Notes & Problem Sets: Help for Physics Major

• Thread starter kostas230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for the math 55 course at Harvard. The speaker is a physics major with an interest in math and is looking for supplementary notes and problem sets. They mention that at their undergraduate institution, math 55 was algebra I, but at Harvard it covers honors complex analysis, algebra, and real analysis. Some links to course pages are provided, but one faculty page with problem sets has been taken down. The speaker speculates that it may have been due to the website's design.
kostas230
Can anyone give me links with supplementary notes and problem sets for math 55? Of course I'm no harvard student, I'm just a physics major with an interest in math. Thanks in advance! ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
What is math 55? At my undergraduate institution that was roughly algebra I. At harvard it is apparently honors complex analysis, algebra, real analysis.

I'm talking about the course given at harvard

Why would they take down the problem sets?

No idea... That guy's faculty page is hit or miss for old stuff. I have been using a lot of it for my independent study, but noticed some of it was taken down. You can still see the reading schedule, syllabus, etc. for the classes. The only thing that is taken down are the .pdf's of the homework/solutions and sometimes the exams. But the links I gave you should have all of the content... the webpage is just ugly :biggrin:.

1. What is Math 55 Notes & Problem Sets and how can it help me as a physics major?

Math 55 Notes & Problem Sets is a comprehensive resource for advanced mathematics topics that are essential for physics majors. It provides detailed notes and problem sets for topics such as linear algebra, multivariable calculus, and differential equations, which are commonly used in physics courses. This resource can help you strengthen your mathematical skills and better understand the mathematical principles underlying physics concepts.

2. Are the notes and problem sets in Math 55 specifically tailored to physics majors?

While the notes and problem sets in Math 55 are designed with physics majors in mind, they can also be useful for students in other scientific fields. The topics covered are fundamental to many areas of science and engineering, making this resource a valuable tool for students in various disciplines.

3. How are the problem sets in Math 55 structured and how can I use them effectively?

The problem sets in Math 55 are organized by topic and difficulty level. Each problem set includes a variety of problems with detailed solutions and explanations. It is recommended to start with the easier problems and gradually work your way up to more challenging ones. It is also helpful to use these problem sets as practice for exams and to review any concepts that may be unclear.

4. Can I use Math 55 Notes & Problem Sets as my primary source of study for math courses?

While Math 55 can be a helpful resource for studying advanced math topics, it is not meant to replace a traditional math textbook or course. It is best used as a supplement to your regular coursework, providing additional practice and explanations for difficult concepts.

5. Are the notes and problem sets in Math 55 free to access?

Yes, all of the resources in Math 55 Notes & Problem Sets are free to access and use. They are intended to be a helpful and accessible resource for students in need of extra support for their math courses. However, it is recommended to always properly cite any resources used in academic work.