To engineers: do you often read texts intended for physics majors?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter curious__
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there are many core subjects that engineering and physics share, such as statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetics. While studying as an engineering student, the individual felt that physics textbooks went deeper in their mathematical rigor and techniques of manipulation, leading to a better understanding of physical intuition. However, there were significant differences in the end-of-chapter problems, with engineering books focusing more on numerical calculations and physics books incorporating more algebra and calculus. The individual's way of learning physics involved using textbooks from different majors and depths of understanding, as well as solving problems from both physics and engineering books. They also mentioned the idea of "the grass is always greener on the other side," as they discovered that physicists also read engineering
curious__
There are many core subjects that engineering and physics share, i.e. statics, dynamics, thermodynamics and electromagnetics.

As an engineering student, I obviously read engineering textbooks for the above-mentioned subjects, and (because of my strong feeling of interest) physics undergraduate textbooks.

Comparing them, well, the level of contents and mathematical rigour of the main texts were nearly the same, but I felt that physics books go somewhat deeper in the techniques of manipulation of mathematical expressions that lead to meaningful physical intuition. But still not quite big differences, and they actually complement each other.

Surprisingly, there are huge differences for the end of chapter problems - the feeling about engineering books is that the problems are very similar to what's in the high school physics problems. Not much algebra and maths, and a lot of numbers and calculations. But for physics books, it's like algebra and calculus 50% + physics 50%. And such problems usually have some meaningful physical interpretations associated with them, so they give us good lessons.

So, my way of learning physics became a combination of various steps like this:

1. Choose some textbooks that are intended for different majors and for different depths of understanding (e.g. if I were to learn about thermodynamics I pick up 'fundamentals of physics', engineering thermodynamics, thermal and statistical physics, physical chemistry books)
2. Try out various problems in a physics major book (in the above case thermal and statistical mechanics), of course with a solutions manual
3. In order to familiarise myself with putting actual numbers and doing calculations precisely and quickly, do some problems in an engineering physics book

Is there anybody else studying like me, or is everybody studying like me, or is nobody studying like me? :)

Likes yucheng, Useful nucleus and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
As a physics student (recently finished my MS) I have the opposite view. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I find a lot of our exposure is overly theoretical and not applied enough; for instance we derive various thermodynamic quantities and relations but don’t really understand what they mean and how they are useful...merely that they exist.

If I find the time I’m going to nab a copy of “Engineering Thermodynamics” by Moran per @Chestermiller ‘s recommendation (Apparently it’s free online from the publisher but I prefer a physical copy). Maybe this will rectify my situation with enough hard work.

Likes yucheng, Useful nucleus, Demystifier and 2 others
While I was in graduate school (many long years ago), I read Goldstein's Classical Mechanics text through. It was very useful, and I was able to extend the ideas to many actual engineering context without relying on the textbook to lead me there. This is only example I can cite from personal experience.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, curious__ and mpresic3
PhDeezNutz said:
As a physics student (recently finished my MS) I have the opposite view. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I find a lot of our exposure is overly theoretical and not applied enough; for instance we derive various thermodynamic quantities and relations but don’t really understand what they mean and how they are useful...merely that they exist.

If I find the time I’m going to nab a copy of “Engineering Thermodynamics” by Moran per @Chestermiller ‘s recommendation (Apparently it’s free online from the publisher but I prefer a physical copy). Maybe this will rectify my situation with enough hard work.

Your answer actually gave me a lot of inspiration - "the grass is always greener on the other side". I never thought by any chance that physicists would intentionally read engineering texts. Then they are really like complementary things. In the original post I kind of criticised engineering texts so now I will mention some of the good things about them.

Indeed for finding real-world applications of classical mechanics, some introductory texts in mechanical engineering (like thermodynamics by Moran) hugely help, especially in their end-of-chapter problems which focus hugely on numerical calculations and include realistic diagrams of machines.

I found that engineering texts have some advantages in that they often distinguish contents very clearly and organise chapters in a very nice order - so that it's kind of easier for students to learn from - I guess this is because many standard engineering courses (like mechanical, electrical, etc.) at an undergraduate level do not quite have links to the areas of modern physics, so even the order of contents have been shaped and standardised by many authors since early 20th century.

For example, engineering dynamics books divide chapters into 1) kinematics of a point mass 2) kinetics of a point mass 3) kinematics of a rigid body 4) kinetics of a rigid body, and engineering electromagnetics books divide chapters into 1) electrostatics 2) magnetostatics 3) electrodynamics 4) electromagnetic fields 5) real-world applications, whereas in the pure physics texts the boundaries between them were somewhat less clear and at the end of such books authors introduced interesting links to quantum mechanics or relativity.

Also, the end of chapter problems (even for what requires some serious engineering maths like vector calculus or differential equations than simple algebra) are better standardised, such as in electromagnetics and fluid mechanics. I guess (without proper reasoning) it's because the possible applications to the industries are quite obvious, so the authors can produce a lot of high-quality problems corresponding to each subdivision of fields. But this kind of organisation causes limitation to the diversity of the physical concepts invited in the problems, so for engineers who are keen to learn about good insights of viewing the science, physics problems for physicists are definitely worth trying out!

Likes vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz
PhDeezNutz said:
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
It's always insightful to see things from different perspectives. I am a theoretical physicist who reads physics literature from the points of view of theoretical physics, mathematical physics, philosophy of physics, popularization of physics, experimental physics and engineering physics. (Did I miss some?)

Likes vanhees71, PhDeezNutz and curious__
Demystifier said:
It's always insightful to see things from different perspectives. I am a theoretical physicist who reads physics literature from the points of view of theoretical physics, mathematical physics, philosophy of physics, popularization of physics, experimental physics and engineering physics. (Did I miss some?)

Absolutely. If we didn’t have different perspectives from different disciplines I don’t think problems would ever get solved.

Likes Demystifier, curious__ and vanhees71

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Physics, on the other hand, is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. While both fields involve scientific concepts, engineering focuses on practical applications while physics focuses on theoretical understanding.

2. Why would engineers need to read texts intended for physics majors?

Engineers often need to have a strong understanding of physics principles in order to design and build functional and efficient systems. They may also need to read texts intended for physics majors when working on interdisciplinary projects that require knowledge from both fields.

3. Are engineering and physics texts interchangeable?

No, engineering and physics texts are not interchangeable. While they may cover some similar topics, the focus and application of the information will be different. Engineering texts will typically have a more practical and applied approach, while physics texts will have a more theoretical and mathematical approach.

4. Is it common for engineers to have a background in physics?

It is not uncommon for engineers to have a background in physics. Many engineering programs require students to take courses in physics as part of their curriculum. Additionally, many engineering specialties, such as mechanical or electrical engineering, heavily rely on principles from physics.

5. Can engineers and physics majors collaborate on projects?

Yes, engineers and physics majors can collaborate on projects. In fact, interdisciplinary collaborations between engineers and physicists can often lead to innovative and groundbreaking solutions. Both fields bring unique perspectives and skill sets to the table, making collaboration beneficial for both parties.